Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hopeann1970 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 01:05 PM
    Am I a Veteran?
    I would seriously like to know if I am a veteran.

I did my Basic Training and my AIT in 1992 and I came home. Went to my unit for a few months then I couldn't to do it anymore and got depressed and couldn't do it anymore emotionally. I gave back the bonus that they gave me for enlisting for the 8 years and they gave me an Honorable discharge in 2000.

The thing I would like to know is if I can apply for any benefits from this.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 10, 2014, 01:34 PM
    Probably. But it would depend on the specific benefits you are seeking.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2014, 06:36 AM
    There are many definitions for "veteran" of the military in the U.S. The following is the U.S. Census Bureau definition from Veterans - Definitions and Concepts - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau :
    "Who are veterans?
    Veterans are men and women who have served (even for a short time), but are not currently serving, on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or the Coast Guard, or who served in the U.S. Merchant Marine during World War II. People who served in the National Guard or Reserves are classified as veterans only if they were ever called or ordered to active duty, not counting the 4-6 months for initial training or yearly summer camps.
    While it is possible for 17 year olds to be veterans of the Armed Forces, ACS data products are restricted to the population 18 years and older. "

I m a U.S. Navy veteran and had forgotten that part about reservists in the above definition, and also repeated on the Vet. Admin. website (below). I know a few reservists who would take umbrage at that definition, but if you look around you will probably find one that includes reservists who were never called up to active duty.

But anyhow, you are a veteran based on the Census Bureau definition, and since you served on active duty for a period after basic training, you most likely meet most veteran definitions. Sounds like you were put in a reserve unit (possibly even without your knowledge) since they waited the 8 years before issuing the discharge. Do you have a DD 214?

From Health Benefits :: Veteran Eligibility : "Most Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which they were called to active duty in order to be eligible." Accent on most.

This calculator may help you determine your eligibility also: Health Benefits Explorer - Military Service Questions

There is also a financial calculator available, to determine if your assets affect your eligibility. But there are also provisions for primarily health benefits for indigent veterans, which may override all other requirements.

Finally, all American Legion Posts have liaison officers who assist veterans with Vet. Admin. issues. This would be a good resource especially if you are pursuing a "service connected" medical or mental disability claim.

Edit: You also appear to be eligible for American Legion membership, Join the Legion | The American Legion
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 02:00 AM
    Yes, he is eligible for American Legion, ** I am a proud life member. Just no chapters where I live (LOL)

The difference benefits will require various months or years of active duty. I doubt there are many benefits you can get, so that will depend

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a military veteran? [ 3 Answers ]

See I was in the army for 3 months in 1987 and was discharged with a dd-214 for medical reasons. Actually I broke my shoulder and it was deformend after healing and was told that I wouldn't be able to function in a proper manner for the army anymore because of it. So through the VA I was able to go...

Am I a veteran [ 4 Answers ]

I served in the us navy from 10/77 till4/81 am I considered a veteran

Am I a veteran? [ 1 Answers ]

I joined the Naval Reserve on 17 Jan 1955. I attended Reserve boot camp at Bainbridge,Md in April 1955. I attended The US Naval Academy for two years from June 1956 to June of 1958. I then was a memner of the naval reserve from June oe 1958 to May of 1959. I moved to Nh and was told I would be a...

What is a veteran [ 3 Answers ]

I am never certain when in a situation where people are asked if they are veterans of military service or just if they are veterans or if they served in the US military what I should say. I have always thought of a veteran as someone who served in the regular military during wartime but on one...

Am I a veteran [ 1 Answers ]

Am I a veteran if I served only 9 months during gulf war in 1994 an received a general discharge?

View more questions Search