Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Physics_Phailure Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Heat Transfer - Physics
    a .500kg sample of water is at 15 degrees C in a calorimeter. A .0400kg mass of zinc at 115 degrees C is placed in the water. What is the final temp of the system if specific heat of zinc is 388J/kg/C and the specific heat of water is 4184J/kg/C?

This was the exact question goven to me I think it has something to do with the formula Q=mcDeltaT and energy has to always be at a constant since it can't be either destroyed or created, BUT don't take my word on that.

ANY help wrong or hopefully otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Well, the water has to gain the same energy as the zinc loses, and the system has to come to an equal temperature.

Using these 2 pieces of information, you should be able to form equations and solve them.
    NITESH KUMAR SAHA Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 04:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics_Phailure
    a .500kg sample of water is at 15 degrees C in a calorimeter. a .0400kg mass of zinc at 115 degrees C is placed in the water. what is the final temp of the system if specific heat of zinc is 388J/kg/C and the specific heat of water is 4184J/kg/C?

This was the exact question goven to me i think it has something to do with the formula Q=mcDeltaT and energy has to always be at a constant since it can't be either destroyed or created, BUT dont take my word on that.

ANY help wrong or hopefully otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
    m1*s1*[T-(273+15)] = m2*s2*[273+115-T]

(m1*s1+m2*s2)T = m2*s2*388 +m1*s1*288

T= {(.04*388*388)+(.5*4184*288)}/(.04*388 +.5*288)

= X kelvin

=X-273 deg c

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Heat pump stuck in heat mode [ 4 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that seems to be stuck in heat mode. When you try to turn the a/c on it runs heat. I got the a/c to run by cycling the power a couple of times but after having to use the heat again, it is stuck again. Could this be an electrical problem or is it probably the reversing valve?

Heat runs with ac and even auto kicks on emg heat [ 1 Answers ]

(Coleman Evcon) Some how the hot and cold on the inside thermostat switched.how is that possible?and how do I fix it?

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search