Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CUALV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2014, 08:22 PM
    Quitting my job
    I am looking for an advice on what is a "good" way to quit my job.

I've been working in an Insurance Agency for three years. We also offer DMV services. When I started this job, I was sent to a 5 week course to become an DMV certified processor. So, I do BOTH insurance and DMV services. I am actually the only person in the office who does both DMV and insurance. I also have a Bachelor Degree.

There is the agent/owner of the agency who visits our office once per week and there is his brother who is the manager. In our office we are only a staff of 3 people (including manager). Mr. Agent is a very hard working person while Mr. Brother is very laid back. During these years, Mr Brother has become a pain in the neck. He is very lazy, irresponsible, disorganized. He would stay at his office watching YouTube videos, chatting, using Facebook, using his cellphone. He is always late for about 20-30 min. When he arrives at the office, he comes with his sleepy face, shaves in the bathroom with open door, puts his belt on. I've recorded him once sleeping and snoring very loudly. He never returns calls to customers. He basically carries on with the law of minimal effort. So with this type of discipline I've become very unmotivated. This situation has me stressed and unhappy. I am the person in the office who attends 80% of the customers and customer's calls. Sometimes I have the lobby full of customers and he is at his office on the phone playing like he is working on something important.

Mr. Agent is a strict boss but is a good boss. Mr. Agent is always pushing Brother to be more punctual and responsible. He knows how Mr. Brother works but not to what extent. I've never wanted to talk to him about what happens (details) in the office when is not there because I don't want to carry me trouble with the person I work with everyday. After all, they are family and I am the one who has more to lose. (It's not like he is going to fire his brother).

After almost three years of honest work, Mr. Agent recently installed security camera on my cubicle. He watches what I do all day, and he even zooms in to my computer screens so he can read what I am typing. Brother does not have a camera in his office of course. I am dissapointed.

I am not happy with my job and I've decided that it is time to quit. As a hobby I've do photography and I've been receiving client inquiries. So I plan to promote my work and have that as an income meanwhile I find a stable job. Or maybe stay as a photographer... I really don't have a well defined plan for my future. I just know that I can't stay at my job anymore.

How to quit? On one side I really want to tell my boss why I'm leaving, why I'm not happy and all the things that his Brother does that affect the company goals. On the other side I want to leave with a good relation. Can I do both?

I'll be happy to read from your experiences and advice.

Thank you :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
    If you wish to quit, just give Mr Agent a two week notice and leave it at that.

If you wish to negotiate for better work conditions, you quit giving all the reasons and see if they offer to change anything.

What you describe is common, my question are you not paid to do the work you do ? I would assume you are making commissions from sales and you are not being harmed, service for company is. But owner of company is OK with it.

Are you currently working part time doing photo work, Do you have 6 months to one year salary saved up to live on ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2014, 04:55 AM
    I would sit down with Mr Agent and ask why you are under surveillance. Do not mention Mr Brother, just ask why you are being watched. Explain to him that it makes you feel uncomfortable being under such scrutiny. Ask if you have given him any reason to suspect your work is not up to par.

If he does not offer to change things to your satisfaction then tell him that you find these working conditions unacceptable and you are giving him 2 weeks notice.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 10, 2014, 07:00 AM
    The only real problem I would have with any of this is the fact that I would be the only one that is being watched. Like Scott said, I would ask why and if the answer wasn't acceptable, then consider giving notice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2014, 07:12 AM
    I'd also have a huge personal issue with the video camera on me and me alone... its not a bank.. and you don't have a cash register so its not there for security purposes.

I'd circulate my resumes around... have a talk with Mr. Agent about the camera, which I don't think will result in anything positive happening... since he has to be aware that Mr. Brother isn't pulling his fair share around the office.

But I'd wait until you get some offer elsewhere... which will likely be better. I think Mr. Agent is going to back up Mr. Brother over you... and personally... I wouldn't work where I had a video camera on me all the time... Unless I was on TV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice period for quitting the job [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am hired by my company directly without any contract, and my offer letter says that Employment is at will. I am about to quit my job, I asked my fellow colleagues about how to resign (as this is my first job) and what should be the notice period. All of them said that you can leave any...

Possible defamation after quitting a job [ 1 Answers ]

I recently left a job in home improvement sales as the economy was effecting my take home pay (100 % commission) I had to find a more stable salaried job and I did. So I quit and asked the company for back pay they owed me which they did not like but they paid. I just recently heard from a...

Just cause for quitting a job to collect unemplyment? [ 2 Answers ]

If you were promised several things (verbally)before you got hired at a company example: you would not have to work week-ends,pay etc. Then a new boss comes in and tells you ,that will not happen. You took the job because you were promised that you would not be working week-ends(because you...

401k, quitting job at 49, want to go to school [ 1 Answers ]

I work a rotating shift job (days to nights every 2 weeks) with my husband that is affecting my health after 8 years. I have a 401k, (30,000) that I think I should roll over to an IRA, my husband wants me to pay off my truck (18,000) with the 401k and take some time off. I want to take courses...

Quitting job / H1-B Visa status [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how long can I stay in the country if I resign to my job while being under the H1-B Visa status.

View more questions Search