Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vozz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Computer Freezing:
    The student records department of a well-known TAFE institute is having problems with its computer system. The system is on a network running under the Windows NT operating system and has been developed using a combination of Microsoft Access and Visual Basic. The following areas are causing concern:

a) Any PC being used to query the database will freeze fairly often for no apparent reason and it is necessary to reboot and start again, causing subsequent loss of information recently entered.

b) There is no facility to produce a report on an individual student’s results by using their student number only – it is necessary to go through a long process to find the one you are looking for. This is extremely time consuming and frustrating as this is a query which needs to be run quite regularly.

c) Teachers do not have the facility to enter students’ results directly into the system – they have to go through a long, slow procedure to get the results entered by the student records department staff. This can result in the students having to wait lengthy periods before their results are available, which in turn causes frustration and, in some cases, complaints. This is not good for client satisfaction! It is also more likely that data entry errors will be made as the teacher knows what is a “reasonable” result and so could correct many errors immediately, rather than having to wait for a printout, determine the errors, if any, and resubmit the corrected marks to go through the same process again.

Thanks Vozz
    burn56 Posts: 41, Reputation: 11

Apr 3, 2007, 08:25 PM
    A: It is probably timing out from a failure response on pinging. Due to a faulty database.
    B: A new interface must be created for the database. With the primary key being the student id. The interface should be fairly simple, with the needed field simply the student id number, which would then cross reference another data base and find the appropriate student information. (My freshman year of college we created a gradebook program to do just that)
    C: Invest in an actual grade booking program. Have a site license registered, distribute to all teacher. If you wish to know of good gradebook programs, send me a personal message, my mother is a teacher she uses tons.
    -Matt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Freezing [ 1 Answers ]

When I got my new computer from my dad on my birthday, I installed a copy of Windows XP Professional on there and it would freeze at cdaudio.sys. Then shortly after it would freeze when I surfed the internet and played games. I could not press Ctrl Alt Delete I could not press the power button, I...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Computer freezing - tried everything... [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry if this post is supposed to be somewhere specific... I just need some quick suggestions because I'm going crazy. Here's my setup, my problem and what I've done to "fix" the problem: Home built machine... WinXP Pro SP-2 2.6 GHz P4 w/HT Asus P4P800-E Deluxe 2 GB DDR400 Kingston RAM...

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search