Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12341996 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2014, 04:18 PM
    How do people deal with death of their boyfriend
    My boyfriend passed away last month in a road collision. I couldn't do anything for at least a week, all I could do was go from crying to being overly happy about our memories. Now over a month has passed and I've managed to get back to school and I'm trying to study for my a-level exams. I can't concentrate at all, he's all I think about- literally. I thought that id become a lot better in doing every day things by last week and I could interact and laugh with my friends for a bit. But I feel like it's hit me again, the shock and horror of the whole situation. It's come back again once I thought it had gone and I'm in pieces. So much stress is on my shoulders and I feel like I should have gotten over the hardest part now but it's just come back to me. Will I feel better in a month? Will it get worse? I have no idea, my moods are fluctuating from week to week and it feels never ending darkness without him.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 04:55 PM
    It takes time but you get over it and move on... there are far worse things that can happen... losing a Spouse, Parent, sibling, child...

How can I say this... I've lost two girlfriends to traffic accidents due to drunk drivers.

Life does go on.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 06:39 PM
    So sorry to hear of your loss. There is no time limit on grief. Everyone works through it in their own time, and in their own way, as you will too. You have already seen that you have moved a little bit forward in healing. Expect good days and bad. Sometimes you will catch yourself laughing with friends, and then perhaps a song or situation will remind you of your boyfriend. Expect it, it's going to happen. But it will get easier as time goes by. You will find more good days than bad, more happy memories than sad, and eventually you will love again. You won't forget, but you won't dwell on it either.

The only time to be concerned would be if you find that you aren't making any progress in moving forward; even slow progress is progress. If necessary, you may consider speaking with a counselor if you don't notice positive change. Hopefully you will have a good friend or family member that you can share your feelings with now and then. Some people find that it helps to write their feelings and thoughts down in a journal for example.

The point is, don't put a time limit on it... allow yourself time to heal, and you will start to feel better more and more.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2014, 01:20 AM
    I am so sorry for the loss. I will agree, in one month, you may be just a little better. In a year you should be some better. We all grieve in our own ways. It is not easy, and when the loss is unexpected it can be harder.

After 20 years, when I hear a certain song, I can still get a tear from the loss of my first wife.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 10, 2014, 02:01 AM
    It will become part of you, never really 'gone,' and that's the way it should be. You add it to you who you are. Maybe it will allow you to be more sensitive to others who just lost someone, and give you an appreciation for what you have when you have it. In other words, it can make you a better person.
    To deal with grief, GRIEVE. Let friends drag you around with them without trying to cheer you up. Don't go on and on about it, or they will get exhausted not knowing what to do, so just 'be.'
    Around the house, set up a little shrine on a shelf, mementos you can talk to. Talk to him all the time, even when you eat something he liked or go somewhere you went with him. Talk out loud. Write him letters. Plant something and watch it grow. Talk to him through the plant. Get a cat or dog and name it after him. Join drunk driver campaigns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with the death of my boyfriend [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I lost my boyfriend 2 weeks ago in a car accident, we were together for two and half years and lived together for more than a year. He was the best thing that ever happened to me and now I just can't let go, I get over his death and feel like an aimless person with no reason for living. I feel...

How can I deal with my partner's death [ 13 Answers ]

My partner died almost six weeks ago,we were together fourteen years and although he had some alcohol problems the last couple of years and suffered from depression his death was sudden and unexpected. I found him dead in bed and keep asking myself if I had been in his room earlier maybe I could...

Helping my boyfriend deal with the sudden death of his mother. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My mother in law passed away on March 6, 2009 (03/06/09) and it was very tragic. She had a massive brain aneurysym, followed immediately by a massive stroke - there was no chance she was going to make it. My boyfriend, myself and the rest of his family (his dad, sister, brother and his...

How do I deal with the death of my boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I have lost my boyfriend three days ago and all I could do is to cry. It happened so sudden and feel life is not fair. He was found lying on the corridor of his house by his mum. We loved each other to bits and I feel without him life would never be the same. My family and friend are not around...

My boyfriend can't deal with his mams death [ 5 Answers ]

HI I really want to help my boyfriend to deal with his mothers death,she past away on the 9 of December 08 so its only being a couple of months and he was ever so close to her she was very sick for a long time so he help nursed her... I think he blames himself in a way for her death once I...

View more questions Search