Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Boblin8861 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2014, 12:55 PM
    I'm divorced. I am still on the mortgage but not on the deed, my responsibilities?
    Still on mortgage but not on deed
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 01:02 PM
    That should have been handled at the divorce. On the mortgage you are still liable. Why not on the deed?
    Boblin8861 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2014, 01:12 PM
    On mortagae not on deed
    I'm Divorced. During the legal separation, I signed over all property rights to my ex. That was 4 yrs ago. Apparently, she is now 2 months behind in the mortgage payment and it appears that no new mortgage was secured in her name. I filed and was approved for a chapter 7 bankruptcy 2 yrs after the separation. Do I have any legal or financial obligation to the mortgage holder as my name has never been removed from the account?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 03:25 PM
    As long as your name is on the mortgage... they can hold you liable for it. And the negative credit for it being late or foreclosed upon.

That's something that should have been done during your divorce as ma0641 has stated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2014, 03:27 PM
    Did you discharge the debt in your bankruptcy? The divorce decree is not binding on the lender. So as long as your name remains on the mortgage you are liable for the debt. You should not have signed over the property until the mortgage was paid off or refinanced.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2014, 03:42 PM
    I recommend returning to court to get an order that she must either refinance or sell the home to get your name off it. She won't be able to refi so you will likely have a short sale or foreclosure in your future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorced my name on mortgage I signed over the deed [ 3 Answers ]

Do I have any rights to the house although my ex had me sign title over to himm pressured me to do so sayibg if I didn't I would be responsible for payments. I found that not to be true and now he's renting the house to his stepson. My name is on the mortgage do I have any rights at all and how can...

My name is on the mortgage but not the deed, getting divorced and need advise. [ 1 Answers ]

Please advise. My husband purchased our home 2 months before we married to have as our family home. We had trouble after the first year and I moved out. When got back together, never divorced, and he re-fi the property and told me I would be added to the deed I just need to go to the back and...

Contract For Deed Rights and Responsibilities (Missouri) [ 2 Answers ]

At the end of April my husband and I bought a house under a contract for deed. The seller told us that he owned the property free and clear, which we have found was not true. He has a mortgage on the house through Wells Fargo. Can he even sell the house this way? I tried calling them to ask but...

Divorced/non-divorced parents college tuition responsibilities in Indiana [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I have a friend who is divorced. It is in his divorce documents to share in paying for his children's college education, but it is in there because his lawyer told him there is a state law in Indiana that requires parents (divorced and non-divorced) to pay for their children's...

Divorced parents college tuition responsibilities in California [ 3 Answers ]

Hi In my divorce decree done in 1990, payment for college tuition was left up to the jurisdiction of the court. My child is 18 and going to an expensive university in the fall. We have joint legal and visitation custody. Unfortunately, the father exercises no visitation with our child. My...

View more questions Search