Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberlyahn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2014, 11:37 AM
    How can I get Custody of my 14 year old sister?
    I'm asking this question out of the blue. I'm currently a 19 year old college student, working full time in a veterinary office and is currently looking for a apartment. My parents have been separated for at least 3 years and have been divorced for 1 yer. My mom is unfit at this time to handle a 14 yr old, since she can barley handle herself... My father is working and clearly doesn't want to take us in; since he lives with his girlfriend, and soon he will be moving out of town. I'm currently living with my grandmother, but like I said I'm looking for an apartment.. I need advice... my dad would be willing to sign over rights... haven't asked my mom, since I know she will put up a fight just because she wants to keep control... I won't stop them from seeing her I just want her raised in a better environment then the one she is in now... She needs it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2014, 11:41 AM
    Your dad can't "sign over his rights". He can, however, agree to give you guardianship. But you would still need to get your mom to agree or report her to Family Services as unfit.

I think you need to get a more stable environment before you can tak on guardianship. Why can't your grandmother apply for guardianship?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 PM
    As mentioned you aren't in a very good place to ask a judge for guardianship. It seems that your grandmother stands a better chance. If you are seriously worried about your sister then call family services. They can investigate the situation and decide if she would do better to be removed. Being that you are still in school I know what the possibility is of you making enough to support both you and your sister. I'm glad that you are wanting the best for her but you might want to talk with your grandmother and see what some more options are if she is even interested in getting involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want custody of my 8 year old sister I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I am leaving for Army bootcamp this upcoming 9th of July. My parents aren't divorced but looks like they will soon. Well my story is long but my mom hasn't never been employed she doesn't have a h.s diploma & 2 years ago she tried committing suicide. My dad is a great man self employed all his life...

I'm 17 and want custody of my 6 year old sister. [ 1 Answers ]

My father left my mother when I was 11 years old for another women, who is now my step-mother, and he left her pregnant with my, now, 6 year old sister. He wasn't there for her at all and I was the one who helped her make food and help around the house when needed to. When I turned 16 my mother met...

How can my 20 year old sister take custody of me? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently live with my parents, who are insufferable. I can no longer take it,my dad is much too strict,and he doesn't let my mom do anything nor I.It feels as though he hates me,and it's just so depressing being here. My mom can only mock when I'm in my room alone crying,I want my sister to take...

Can I get custody of my three year old sister? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 20yrs old in the military my fiancé is going reservist and I have a three year old half sister. Well I have been hearing stories about my sister's mom and it has really been worrying me about how she is treating my sister. My dad only gets to see her once a week and he has to pay a lot way...

Custody of my 15 year old sister [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'd like to get custody of my sister who is 15 years old my mother died Thanksgiving of 2007 and I just assumed that since I was next of kin I didn't have to get custody/guardianship of her but he guidance counselor asked if I had guardianship of her since my mom is deceased and I said yes so...

View more questions Search