Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Iljames Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Disa testing
    Hello I'm asking a question concerning my husband, he took a hair follicle test last year, they claimed they found codeine, he said the only thing he'd taken was Tylenol for a toothache but he was 100% sure there was no codeine. We went to hospital and back to the dentist got papers and sent them off to Disa they claimed that that wasn't good enough, they told him the only way that he could come back this year and retake it and he would be fine. Now they are making him go to a class, why is the company making people take this? My husband isn't a drug user and it's not fair
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2014, 09:58 AM
    He took codine somehow... OTC Tylenol doesn't have it... in fact nothing over the counter has it, its considered a controlled substances and is prescription only.

Why do they make people do this... watch the news sometime... a large percentage of accidents involving comercial vehicles or public transit involves drivers under the influence of something. And quite a few of those involving the general population.

So actually its really quite fair...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    He took codine somehow... OTC Tylenol doesn't have it. ...
    "... In the United States, codeine is regulated by the Controlled Substances Act. Federal law dictates that codeine be a Schedule II controlled substance when used in products for pain-relief that contain codeine alone or more than 90 mg per dosage unit. Tablets of codeine in combination with aspirin or acetaminophen (paracetamol/Tylenol) made for pain relief are listed as Schedule III; and cough syrups are Schedule III or V, depending on formula. The acetaminophen/codeine pain-relief elixir (trade name Tylenol Elixir with Codeine) is a Schedule IV controlled substance.[SIZE=2][41][/SIZE]
    Some states have chosen to classify Schedule V codeine preparations into a more restrictive schedule in order to cut down the abuse of prescription codeine preparations. Minnesota, for instance, has chosen to reclassify Schedule V codeine preparations (such as Cheratussin) as a Schedule II controlled substance.[SIZE=2][42][/SIZE]
    Preparations for cough or diarrhea containing small amounts of codeine in combination with two or more other active ingredients are Schedule V in the US, and in some states may be dispensed in amounts up to 4 fl. oz. per 48 hours (one or two states set the limit at 4 fl. oz. per 72 hours) without a prescription. ... " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine#United_States

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on Wikipedia. :)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2014, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "... In the United States, codeine is regulated by the Controlled Substances Act. Federal law dictates that codeine be a Schedule II controlled substance when used in products for pain-relief that contain codeine alone or more than 90 mg per dosage unit. Tablets of codeine in combination with aspirin or acetaminophen (paracetamol/Tylenol) made for pain relief are listed as Schedule III; and cough syrups are Schedule III or V, depending on formula. The acetaminophen/codeine pain-relief elixir (trade name Tylenol Elixir with Codeine) is a Schedule IV controlled substance.[SIZE=2][41][/SIZE]
    Some states have chosen to classify Schedule V codeine preparations into a more restrictive schedule in order to cut down the abuse of prescription codeine preparations. Minnesota, for instance, has chosen to reclassify Schedule V codeine preparations (such as Cheratussin) as a Schedule II controlled substance.[SIZE=2][42][/SIZE]
    Preparations for cough or diarrhea containing small amounts of codeine in combination with two or more other active ingredients are Schedule V in the US, and in some states may be dispensed in amounts up to 4 fl. oz. per 48 hours (one or two states set the limit at 4 fl. oz. per 72 hours) without a prescription. ... " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeine#United_States

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on Wikipedia. :)
    Yeah, that was Tylenol with Codine... which comes in various strengths and is a prescription only medication...people that take it know they are taking it...it doesn't come in Tylenol bottles you might find in any store that carries this sort of thing.

Yes I've been prescribed this in the past..... a generic Ibupropherine worked far better for me.

The same as every other formulation that contains it.

OTC Tylenol (which doesn't require a prescription) contains no codine...

I agree with you.. WIKIPEDIA gets it wrong yet again. Since it falls under a Federal law (not a federal suggestion) which can't be superceded by a state or local law.

Not surprising because few if any of its editors are professionals. I know a couple that didn't even have jobs at the time when they started editing on it....OR were even college graduates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there anyway to fight a DISA decision [ 2 Answers ]

I need help understanding the whole DISA thing. My son failed a drug test, showed THC. The level was over 700. He knows he gets drug tested and loved his job so we knew something was not right. We retraced his past week to see if there was anywhere he was at that he ate anything besides a...

DISA members [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have a list of DISA consortium member companies?

Failed DISA [ 2 Answers ]

I recently failed a DISA drug screening, and need to know what process I must take to get this corrected.

Disa drug testing [ 0 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if my name has been added to the failed drug testing through disa, does anyone know how you do this?

What all drugs does disa test for [ 0 Answers ]

I have a scrip to hydrocodone if I took a diff pain med will I still fail

View more questions Search