Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 3, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Need Deck cleaning tips
    I am preparing to clean a 10 yr neglected deck. I have a pressure washer available, but I am looking for any input on cleaners to choose. I am trying to avoid chlorine bleach and sodium hydroxide. I was wondering if anyone has used an oxygen bleach and what their results were.

Thanks,
    Morrowrj
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Could you tell us what material was used to build the surface of the deck. How much pressure does you washer put out. The bleaches are good for killing mold, mildew and stains but they aren't really cleaners. Please get back to us with more info.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Some years ago, I was the Hotsy Rep and we taught contractors on the use of pressure washers and sold commercial steam and pressure equpment. In general while dozens will not agree, professions do not use pressure washers for wood decks, even with wide angle tips the pressue can damage the deck. They would always use proper equpment, proper chemicals and low pressure washing.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Apr 3, 2007, 07:37 PM
    I use a 2600 PSI, 6.5 hp pressure washer on my wooden deck, never do I use chemicals as the mildew and mold will appear again soon and when that occurs I simply pressure wash it again. While true that if you use too much pressure focused on a small area of a wooden deck, it will destroy the wood, I avoid this by using my press washer in a manner so that I don't direct too much pressure to one small area.

Apr 4, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Fr-Chuck is correct, that's why I asked about the pressure. Too much pressure tears the wood fibers and the opens the wood grain. I never use more than 2400 psi with a broad tip fan. Behr, Olympic, Woolman all make good cleaners but we still should know the species of wood. Cedar and AC2 are very different.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
    I would only be using 2000 psi. As for the lumber, I believe it to be PT pine. My plan is to remove the mold/mildew in order to prep for sealing.

Thanks,
    Morrowrj

Apr 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
    PT pine is probably AC2 and the 3 brands I previously mentioned will all work well on AC2. 2000 psi is just fine for this app. Thompson Waterseal makes several products, one is the worst on the market place and the other is very good. Buy the Green can with the word wood protector on it. If you shop around you can even find it tinted. Even this will only last 2 years before a maintenance coat is needed. Thompsons red can called water seal is just total junk and actually support mildew.
    Henry Bockman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Do not use more than 1,000 PSI on wood decks! Please read this article on how to pressure wash decks.
    MrPainter Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:49 PM

If all that is needed is cleaning the deck what is the best cleaner to use? I am getting ready to clean a very dirty deck, almost black with dirt. I do not need to use a stripper.

Feb 10, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Proper deck cleaning techniques
    For cleaning decks properly, use a sodium hydroxide based cleaner that will remove any existing sealers, and to kill mold and mildew growth.

After applying the cleaner, let it dwell on the surface for about 15-20 minutes, then using less than 1,000 PSI, rinse it from the surface.

Then, thouroughly rinse the surface after and apply a wood brightner made with an oxalic acid base to balance the Ph of the wood, allow it to dry a few days then apply a penetrating wood sealer and stain.

Do not use a linseed oil based stain that is commonly found in Thompsons, Wolman, Behr or Olympic. Linseed oil is food for mildew! Use a product like Ready Seal or another comparable product that has a tint in the sealer for UV protection and oils that will moisturize the lumber.

These are basic wood restoration procedures used by professional wood restoration contractors across the nation. Please ask a pro in your area for services like this. Use this link: Pressure washing contractor directory to find pressure washing contractors in your area.

Feb 11, 2009, 10:45 AM

Greetings Henry,

You are a wealth of information. Thank you.

If I have a deck that is about 700 sq ft with about 69 ft of pickets (these figures include the stairs and railings), using your process, how long would I expect it would take me to clean this deck? Is there a sq ft price to estimate this?

Feb 11, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Depending on the equipment and cleaners your using it would take you about four hours for the cleaning and brightening. Pricing will vary depending on where you are, the skill of the contractor and the materials used in the job.

What happened to my other post that gave the basic steps and procedures?

Feb 12, 2009, 07:21 AM

That's weird that your post is missing. I printed that one out it was so helpful.

Feb 12, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Well I'm glad you got, I have no idea why it would have been removed. Maybe they didn't like me listing a resource to find contractors? It's a free resource to home owners and contractors so I don't know why they would have a problem with it.

Feb 12, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Bockman View Post
    Well I'm glad you got, I have no idea why it would have been removed. Maybe they didn't like me listing a resource to find contractors? It's a free resource to home owners and contractors so I don't know why they would have a problem with it.
    Henry,

I would like to speak with you sometime. I am mostly a painter but am trying to diversify. I noticed you are on the board of the PWNA. Is there a way to send me a private message here?

Thanks
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2009, 12:24 PM

Hello, I have done a few prep jobs using low pressure wash and had to finally use the higher nozzle to clean off the old sealer along with that black mold.. after that ,I stained it with a semi deck colored stain. IT took a half day to power wash and another full day to stain the ballisters /deck .I summed it up 500 bucks materials included. I guess the avg rate for powerwash deck cleaning alone is worth 200.00 per half day without cleaners or sealants etc. anyone else agree or is my fee too low ?

Jun 23, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Deck cleaning procedures
    Hey guys, if your trying to find out how to clean and seal decks check out this article: How to clean decks at Sun Brite Supply Pressure Washers and Power Washing Supplies From Sun Brite Supply, including Pressure-Pro, Mosmatic, X-Jet, Honda, Dewalt, Steel Eagle, Big Guy, Maxima, General Pump, Cat Pump, Hansen, Rapid Reel, Neptune, Cox Reels, Suttner, Dirt Killer, and more.
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Henry I think each job is different but as a rule of thumb, I figure my power washer the gas the insurance my experience as to which pressure is appropriate for each job.. I have to figure 200 bucks labor + cost in materials for anything around 200 sq ft or less. And I give no guarantees as all types of wood weathers differently with age and as such, experience is worth at least 40 to 60 bucks an hr.. Using a spray applicator with the right cleaner and rinsing with the least pressure using a powerwash to get the job done. One last important tip is to be certain the customer is aware that cleaning alone is only one step and that treated lumber needs a sealant to stay clean as you mentioned for a few seasons.

Jun 23, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Actually I'd have to say that's way under priced. A contractor that has the right equipment, cleaners, briteners, sealers and experience should be making a minimum of $150.00 an hour. I've taken almost every type of training there is for the residential pressure washing market and now I'm an instructor. I tell everyone in my classes that they should be making a minimum of $150 an hour. Most of them usually make 150-200...
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 11:08 PM

Henry Bockman Welcome to the site.

This thread/post you answered is from April 3 2007

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck construction support [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I am in the process of designing a deck for my house. As I have a walk out basement and want the deck off the main floor, the deck will be one story above grade. The back of my house has a 3 season porch protruding out about 12 feet. My idea is to have the deck also protruding out from...

Cleaning credit tips? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I want to clean my credit up and, since I've never done this before, I need some advice. Here's my scenario: All of my negative marks on my credit report are from California. I now live in Nevada. I had a credit card from Capitol One with...

Belts... deck... [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Yard Machine from MTD... 15 HORSE POWER, 42 inches... yardmachine Model No. 13A6672G129... and my constant problem iw with belts. 1. what would be the correct/appropriatge belt for this particular model? 2. whenever I changed belt (PURCHASED FROM HOME DEPOT)... claimed to be the...

Deck Stains [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks can any one point me in the right direction in choosing a good deck stain... Something that will. LAST... Thanks much...

92 Honda Accord CD deck [ 2 Answers ]

The cd player in my 1992 Honda Accord doesn't work. I put a CD in it, and it goes in, and it tries to read it, then it just ejects the CD back out. Anyone know how I can fix this?

View more questions Search