Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eeyore58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 06:45 PM
    401k Withdrawal after 70 1/2
    How much is a person required to withdraw each year from their 401k, after reaching age 70 1/2 ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 08:06 PM
    It is called an RMD and your fiduciary will determine it. It is based on life expectancy.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 07:56 AM
    The IRS publishes rules as to the amount of the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) - it's basically a percentage of the account balance as of Dec 31 of the prior year, and as you get older that percentage goes up. Here's a table of the expected "distribution period" by age: IRA Required Minimum Distributions Table | Bankrate.com To get the RMD percentage take the inverse of this number. For example at age 70 the expected distribution period is 27.4 years; hence the amount to be distributed that year is 1/27.4 = 3.64%. By the time you reach age 80 the expected distribution period is 18.7 years, so the RMD amount is 1/18.7 = 5.3%.
    Eeyore58 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2014, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    The IRS publishes rules as to the amount of the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) - it's basically a percentage of the account balance as of Dec 31 of the prior year, and as you get older that percentage goes up. Here's a table of the expected "distribution period" by age: IRA Required Minimum Distributions Table | Bankrate.com To get the RMD percentage take the inverse of this number. For example at age 70 the expected distribution period is 27.4 years; hence the amount to be distributed that year is 1/27.4 = 3.64%. By the time you reach age 80 the expected distribution period is 18.7 years, so the RMD amount is 1/18.7 = 5.3%.
    Ok, thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal at 59.5 [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to cash out my 401k. I am 60 years old. What kind of penalties will apply? Or would a loan against the money be better?

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

I was laid off from my job. How will I be taxed on my 401k withdrawal in the amount of about $3100. I am 59 years 9 months old .

401k withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was release from employment May 28,2008 and am still unemployed. Thinking of cashing out my 401k which is taking a beating. First, will I have to pay the additional 10% penelty for early withdrawal. Secondly, With the markets in the state they are, will it be wise for me to cash out now,...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

View more questions Search