Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 05:13 PM
    Travelling with a criminal record.
    My husband and I have been researching getting a pardon and then our passports. I have found conflicting information.

1. Is a pardon useless in that other countries will still see your record? That would be the only reason I would get a pardon

2. Does anyone know if the following charges would prevent anyone from traveling to the Netherlands and Brazil?
    Theft of a check. Probation no time served. 1990s. No further criminal activity
    And for me
    Writing bad checks. Probation no time served 1990s No further criminal activity.

3. If a pardon is needed and helpful is it better to go through one of the businesses that advertise they can do it all for you or to do it yourself?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 06:18 PM
    I can only speak for the US. Pardons are given to felons here. It appears you committed misdemeanors, not felonies. I doubt that these petty charges will keep you from traveling abroad.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 09:26 PM
    Also, at least in the US, a pardon is very hard to get, a record may be expunged.

But other nations can still see the record.

You need to verify with the embassy of each nation, about visa and requrement, but with this you should be able to travel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travelling back into us as lpr with 20 yr old criminal record [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is a lpr that has a 20 year old criminal record(several duis and 1 time drug use). He has had clean record for 17 yrs. What are the chances he could be detained coming back from a visit to Mexico on a plane?

Fingerprinted, arrested record in Canada, no criminal record [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was recently charged for theft under, first time offense, and court date is at the end of Oct. I have to cross US border everyday for a full time job. I am getting a diversion and my lawyer said the charge will be withdrawn if I satisfy the requirements. Today, CBP...

Can I remove njp from my civilian criminal record record? [ 0 Answers ]

On 01 AUG 2005, I was discharged under OTHER THAN Honorable conditions and an RE-Code 4. From 2006-07, my two requests (military file AND personal appearance) for a discharge upgrade to an Honorable from the Army Discharge Review Board Agency were denied. Then, the Army BCMR, also, denied my...

View more questions Search