Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smithvirgo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 12:38 PM
    Boss cutting my salary
    I've been at my company for about 6 months. My base salary was $50,000. No insurance, no 401k or retirement plan. This is a very small company (6 employees). I live and work in CT which is an AT-WILL state. I was brought on to be an account manager and bring in new business. Now, the accounts my boss wants me to break into are huge and nearly impossible to get into without a referral. I drive an hour to and from work, sit at my desk from 9-5 and hustle. Like I said, I try my best to break into these accounts as well as manager 2 large accounts that my boss had brought in years ago. I prospect like crazy and really try to leverage my previous connections from my other jobs as a sales rep.
    I haven't brought it one new account (bc it's difficult to get into these accounts) but I've made my quota each month (by working my other large accounts that were given to me).
    I had a meeting today and my boss said they love having me on the team and they don't want to lose me. She said I'm doing a great job managing my 2 accounts but since I haven't brought in any "new" accounts they want to lower my salary down to $35,000. That's a $15,000 per year pay cut. I was getting $50,000- that's not that much in CT. I'm also a single Mom and always worked from home. This job requires me to be in from 9-5 so I Have to leave the house at 7:50 am and I don't get home until 6 - 7 PM. The traffic in CT is horrible. I spend about $400 per month on gas. I know most people are gone all day and work longer hours than that but I was always used to working from home so this has been a huge change in my life (and my daughters life)
    My question is, should I negotiate back? I will still get full commission on any deals I sell and for every 3 new accounts I bring in (granted I make a sale at those new accounts)- I get $5,000 added to my base salary. I can get up to $50,000 and earn back my full salary.
    I want to accept the offer on one condition- they let me work from home 3 days per week. That would save me so much money and my life would be less complicated. I usually don't have time to budget for groceries and end up spending so much on take out and eating out for lunch. I hardly have time to pack my lunch so I eat out about 3 times per week ($100) (yes, CT is ridiculously expensive). SO essentially I would be saving money on food and gas. Plus, I could work out and enjoy the nice weather. My boss said she doesn't want to lose me and she said she loves having me a part of her team. Do I push back with 1 or 2 scenarios or just leave it as I'll take the pay cut but I want to work from home 3 days a week? HELP
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Personally... if I had to deal with that... I'd look for another employer. That kind of stress will shorten your life.

Apr 7, 2014, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Personally... if I had to deal with that... I'd look for another employer. That kind of stress will shorten your life.
    I agree- I've already gained 12 lbs in 6 months by working here... ugh. If I can work from home I'll be happier.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 12:45 PM
    Keep in mind...if you make a counter offer...they could just tell you to hit the road. It all comes down to what you really feel is going to happen...nobody here can know that.

Me? I would accept the offer and then look for another job.

Apr 7, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Keep in mind...if you make a counter offer...they could just tell you to hit the road. It all comes down to what you really feel is going to happen...nobody here can know that.

Me? I would accept the offer and then look for another job.
    Thanks for the response, I feel like they would accept it- they let us work from home all the time, this would just be formalized. Also, a girl was hired the same day I started and she asked to work from home 4 days a week and they agreed (she lived 12 miles south of me)- that's what makes me think they would agree to it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 12:52 PM
    WHat have you got to lose... that will lbuy you time... and you wouldn't have to take the first job you find then... you could wait for better offers.

But that level of stress is going to cause heart problems... high blood pressure and generally result in a lower quality of life... for what is really NOT all that much money complareed to what the costs to your health, physical and mental are.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 05:27 AM
    Most companies, have requirements for new accounts, even if making sale quota, since they want to grow more business. Actually you are lucky to keep your job, and if you do not find new accounts soon, even smaller ones, you may soon be out of a job.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 8, 2014, 05:43 AM
    WAIT a sec - what's this 'they let us work from home all the time? Do you or don't you go in every day? If others get away with working from home, why are you so concerned about asking? It's all a matter of how you present it. Start with a brief but glowing love of the work and the company, without sounding phony, and then just say 'I can work some of the financial loss into my budget if I can save on food costs and gas, and formalize a work from home arrangement.'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boss send me an email today saying that they're cutting my salary in 9 days [ 6 Answers ]

This morning I received an email from my boss, be-rating my performance and telling me that in 9 days they were going to be cutting my salary from 48,000 to 18,000 and a 2 percent commission on current repeat business, and he mentioned in the email that hopefully this would motivate me to do more. ...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Is there a minimum salary that a corporate boss must pay the manager of the business? [ 3 Answers ]

I am the manager of a business that has changed over to a corporation a year ago, and have been manager since it opened just 2 1/2 years ago. I make a salary of $1500 (gross) per month. I made an additional bonus for the first year and a half, but last year he decided he didn't want to pay them...

Cutting salary employees pay [ 6 Answers ]

Can an employeer cut a salary employees pay and move them to an hourly position because of being absent with out any kind of warning first?

View more questions Search