Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pfournier Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 11:40 AM
    My job description changed and I don't qualify what now?
    Hello, my job description changed quit a but. Qualifications for my position last month was.
    1: Prior Experience in Manufacturing.
    2: Must be able to functions with equivalent skill as an individual contributor, team member, and leader
    3: Excellent Written and verbal communication skills
    4: Basic knowledge of assembly, testing, and fabrication techniques is a plus.

But now the qualifications are, and most I don't have.
    1: Individual must have technical proficiency in Hardware and Linux OS (I don't have linux experience.)
    2: Previous work experience in a department that did full rack integration
    3: Fundamental understanding of TCP/IP (Don't have)
    4: Knowledge on high and low voltage power and cooling concepots (120/208, 3 phase, UPS, HVAC) (Do not have but taking classes)
    4: Working Technical knowledge of ATX, PCI, AGP, ATA, SCSI, SCA, USB, NVIDIA, Solaris/UNIX, Windows 2008/2012, RAID and Storage concepts, Ethernet cabling and wiring standards) (Only know some from the past two years of being here but I don't know all.)
    5: Basic understanding of virtualization technology and concepts (don't have)
    6: Mechanical skill with hand tools, power tools, and soldering
    7: Have an understanding knowledge of lean manufacturing principle
    8: Team player, must work well in a diverse environment
    9: Must possess a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
    10: Have a passion for technology.

What are my options, I don't qualify based on the new job description. If I don't sign what are my options?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 11:44 AM
    If you don't sign... they can simply terminate you. Sounds like you are an at-will employee without a labor contract.

THats a good size volume of knowledge to have to amass if you don't know most of it now.

How long have you been in the position and how much has changed or will change outside of the job requirements?

Most of those requirements are for new hires or internal transfers...unless they are making large changes you can't handle....your job might not be at risk.

Apr 7, 2014, 12:04 PM
    A lot has changed. Two years ago when I was hired they had little to know process and no sense of urgency. Now that this has been put in place they are sort of looking for that next step. I've asked for training in the past, but few knew of any classes I should or could take. We now have a new COO who I report to, and he would like me to have a good understanding of Linux, Facility Power, and scripting with in the next three months. Currently I'm taking power classes but I will not be able to achieve the other two goals in time, And yes Washington state is a fire at will.

So yes my job is changing a lot, and the two years I have been here I have not had much training or direction until the last month. What are my options?
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 12:12 PM
    I knows what's involved to learn parts of that... and nope no way in heck can you learn it in 3 months time. Even if you spent every waking hour in classes.

In your spare time at home it would be wise to tune up (if you have one written) or write a resume if you don't... and start looking...

Based on what you've just said... you've got a pretty good idea where things are headed. Get everything ready because I'm going to guess you aren't the only person there that's going to be looking for work soon. Get your stuff out there before they do and your chances get better of landing another job.

At only 2 years... you essentially have nothing holding you there like a severance package (those are all based on time in the company).

Apr 7, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Thanks Smoothy. Just curious, if I do sign knowing I don't qualify, does this mean they can just fire me at a later date? Also are the obligated to get me more training based on how much my job is changing. They are also changing my title from Operations Manager to Technology Operations Manager. I'm assuming I have no legal actions I can take?
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 12:31 PM
    Its hard to say what they will or won't do. Some employers would rather train a guy they already know and is proven than hire someone they reallyt don't know.

Others treat their employees like commodities and hire and fire them on a whim.

They really aren't obligated to do much... but its generally in their best interest to offer the training because new hires have a long learning curve. Its usually cost effective to train existing employees.

I think its kind of odd to have to reapply for your own job you've already been in for a few years... but I know of a place here in the city I work that's basically doing exactly that, all high level highly educated people (multiple university degrees). So I know it does happen. THey are doing it to get rid of people they feel aren't working at their potiential...or ticked someone or other off over the years. And to hire new people in with less benifits and lower pay.

Sign it or not... it seems pretty clear where this is heading... and heading there soon. Sign it... to cover your butt right now... start looking ASAP elsewhere... and hopefully you find something equal or better before the axe falls. I'm guessing you are in an area that jobs are scarece enough you need as much time as you can get to look for another.

Apr 7, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Thanks again smoothy, you are right. I'll buy as much time as I can while taking advantage of what training there are willing to give me.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 7, 2014, 02:22 PM
    You qualify for unemployment in any state, because of the dramatic change in job description.
    Rather than just quitting, of course, discuss all this first. But don't lose the paper trail. Employers pay for your UI with increased rates, and they often try to get out of it.
    Your best option is to learn the skills. WA is full of good programmers, isn't it? Pay for private tutoring, or sit in on a college class.

Apr 7, 2014, 03:27 PM
    Joypulv, thanks for the response but I'm drawing a blank on UI?

I agree with your second statement, but they are wanting me to learn everything in the next three months. I will be trying to get an extension on some of those things.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 05:03 PM
    UI = Unemployment Insurance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 11:34 PM
    If you could not do the job, most likely they would have fired you. I will be honest, most job descriptions are done for the legal department and to meet OSHA and other regulations.

Unless you are not doing the job, (but the fact you are asking for training, may mean you have trouble doing the job??

Or of course if you were good worker, they could transfer you another department

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification? [ 2 Answers ]

Similarities between job analysis,job description and job specification?

View more questions Search