Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marley5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 01:31 AM
    Overstay
    My fiancé came on an f1 student visa in 97. He overstayed and went home to Kenya Aug 2013 for medical treatment. How can he return?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 02:33 AM
    He can't come back if he overstayed, probably not for another ten years. He overstayed a stipulation.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 7, 2014, 07:08 PM
    F1 students are mostly admitted for Duration of Status. People admitted for Duration of Status cannot automatically accrue unlawful presence. Therefore, he likely does not have a ban, unless there was a final removal order against him.

His chances of getting a visa depend on what kind of visa he is applying for.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 09:21 PM
    Agree, he will just have to apply for a visa, and go though the application process.

How long have you know him ?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 09:28 PM
    He spent 16 years in US. The most lengthy term allowed fro student visa is 5 years, so he is banned from entering US for 10 years.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 8, 2014, 02:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    He spent 16 years in US. The most lengthy term allowed fro student visa is 5 years, so he is banned from entering US for 10 years.
    The ban you are talking about is for a certain period of unlawful presence. He may not have any unlawful presence. People admitted on D/S do not automatically start to accrue unlawful presence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I overstay my visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please tell me if I overstayed my VWP, I was in US from August 23 2010 and left on the 21st of November 2010. I originally bought a ticket from the 23rd of August 2010 to the 18th of November 2010,when I was there I decided to go to Mexico instead than going back to Europe,so I bought a...

Overstay visa [ 3 Answers ]

I overstayed my vacation is the United states by 6 months,and working their while in colledge for my friends business,I was made to sign paper work stating all of this and was told I would be given a copy,I did not receive any paperwork when I boarded my plain baack to Toronto.The only item that...

Overstay [ 3 Answers ]

If you came to the USA on a f1 visa, which is only good for 4 years and have remained in the US on "over stay" for the past 1 month (because it expired in November 2009), and you want to marry an American fiancée , can that person get a Green Card by marrying the American citizen? Is being on...

US overstay Ban? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there. I will try to be as short but detailed as possible here. I am a US citizen, my husband is a UK citizen. In 2001 my husband came to the states (we were not married yet). He stayed his 3 month allowance and came back to the UK. He then returned to the US after which time we suffered a...

Visa overstay [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I just got married in April , I am pregnant and he can't find a job because he doesn't have papers. He overstayed his visa... He is from Jordan and I'm american, who can I talk to or what can I do, to get him a work permit without him being deported... If someone calls immigration...

View more questions Search