Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feryelena10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 01:13 AM
    Track down Old 401k
    It's been about 20 years since I've had a 401k but do not have any paperwork. The company that I used to work for, is out of business. How can I track it down?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 04:32 AM
    Do you know any of the old workers? Any chance of some old income tax statements?
    Old records ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2014, 05:06 AM
    They mail you quarterly statements... if you failed to update your address when you moved like you are supposed to... then this falls on you.

The 401K program was managed by a third party, not your old employer. However with them out of business... fat chance asking them who managed it for them. There are a LOT of different places that do it. Good luck guessing which one it might be.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2014, 05:09 AM
    When you leave a company with a vested retirement benefit, that company is supposed to report this to the SSA. So when you apply for Social Security benefits, they will inform you of any that you have. You can also check with pbgc.gov
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 08:10 AM
    As noted above, your account assets are with the plan administrator, not your old employer, so the goal here is to find out who that is. This is most likely a mutual fund company, or an insurance company, or a bank that your old employer contracted with to administer the plan for them. If you didn't keep any of the paperwork from when you originally enrolled, or statements that you received in the past, then I suggest start by contacting any colleagues from your old job or your old boss to ask who the administrator is - then you can call the admin and update your mailing address with them. If that doesn't work, you can try the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits (NRURB). They are responsible with keeping over 50,000 individual retirement accounts for individuals who have forgotten 401(k), profit sharing and other company sponsored plan balances that have been abandoned: https://www.unclaimedretirementbenefits.com/

An additional suggestion is to go on-line and search for abandoned property in the state you lived in at the time. If you have not been receiving statements from the 401(k) plan administrator they may now consider you lost, and by law they would have turned your assets over to the state. Every state has a program to try to reunite people with their lost assets. Here is a free web site that lets you search your state's database of abandoned assets: MissingMoney.com Unclaimed Property FREE SEARCH - Officially endorsed By The States, Provinces and Naupa . It's a good idea to do a search on every state you ever lived in to see if there are abandoned assets in your name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Track down Old 401k [ 2 Answers ]

For over 10 years I have had several companies that I had 401k's with and I'm trying to obtain information on how, I can find out what companies they were with.

Track down Old 401k [ 1 Answers ]

II started my 401k plan in 1999 at Parks Farms but that company has since been sold to another company by the name of case farms and now I do not know just what has happed to my plan. I have asked this company but they do not know what might have happened to it .

Do I have to keep track of cost basis when rollover 401K to IRA? [ 5 Answers ]

I have rolled over 401K to IRA account whenever I switched jobs. They sent me a check in the name of my brokerage firm and deposited into my IRA account. I kept some previous 401K statements, but not all. On my IRA statement provided by my brokerage firm, cost basis is unavailable, obviously. ...

Track 401K [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need some advise and assistance if possible with respective to my old 401K account. I left my company in 2001 and now the company has been closed and I have lost my latest401K statement which I had received and do not any longer receive any statements. I need to track the financial...

How do I track down a forgotten 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

I just turned 43, and am beginning to realize the importance of financial planning... I know better late than never right?! Anyway, I had a few 401Ks over the years at various employers, but never kept track of them. Its been 8 years since I worked for "corporate america", and now Im self employed,...

View more questions Search