Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aruppcb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2014, 01:04 AM
    Billiard ball
    1. A billiard ball moving at a speed of 2.2 m/s strikes an identical stationary ball a glancing blow.After the collision,one ball is found to be moving at a speed of 1.1 m/s in a direction making a 60° angle with the original line of motion.i) Find the velocity of other ball.ii) Can the collision be inelastic,given these data? Justify your answer.
    CWH68 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2014, 09:23 AM
    Hint: Use the law of conservation of momentum.

m1v*1 + m2v*2 before = m1v*1 + m2v*2 after.

Here, v* denotes the velocity vector, and v denotes the speed.

In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved. i.e.

(m1v1^2)/2 + (m2v2^2)/2 before = (m1v1^2)/2 + (m2v2^2)/2 after.

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy after is less than
    the total kinetic energy after.

In a completely inelastic collision, the balls would stick together afterwards.
    CWH68 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2014, 09:27 AM
    In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy after is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision. My bad. Hope this helps.
    -CWH :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start up Billiard Hall [ 8 Answers ]

I am looking to start up a pool hall in my area. Before I do so, I am looking for information about startup. In particular, how big a space do I need? how many tables for my geographic population. How full can I expect my tables to be? what is the typical profit margin for pool halls? Does...

Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius [ 0 Answers ]

Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius R= 7.00 cm rests on a billiard table. At one moment, the b? P? Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius R= 7.00 cm rests on a billiard table. At one moment, the b? Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius R= 7.00 cm rests on a...

Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius R= 7.00 cm rests on a billiard ta [ 0 Answers ]

Playing Pool A uniform billiard ball with radius R= 7.00 cm rests on a billiard table. At one moment, the ball received a hit from the horizontal direction. Hit point is h above the center of the ball. Then, the ball begins to move with a velocity V0= 15.0 m/s. The kinetic coeffient between...

Startup Billiard Hall [ 1 Answers ]

What is the process to start a billiard hall? How do I apply for startup loans? How can I get Grants for the business?

Market Research for a Billiard Parlor [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to start a billiard parlor that does not serve alcohol in an area that does not currently have one. The closest places like us are a little over 150 miles away, in an area that is more highly populated with very different demographics. My question is this: how do I go about...

View more questions Search