Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yankgrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2014, 02:07 PM
    Can a debt collector hold a spouses bank account?
    I live in New York a debt collector for a hospital bill I owe put a hold on my husbands bank account that I am not listed under for double the amount that I owe them. The judgement was in my name not his and the bank account is in his name only.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2014, 05:03 PM
    Generally no. Did you get a copy of the order? Does the order specify your name? If so, go back to the court that issue it and ask that it be vacated since the account is only in your name and you are not named in the judgment. If your name is not on the order ask your bank why they are holding your account since you are not on the judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can a collector drag a bank garnishment/hold out? [ 1 Answers ]

How long can a collector drag a bank garnishment/hold out? Freeze on the 9th, I reached agreement on 12th. They did not send to judge until 16th and still waiting. No funds. Anything I can do? Thanks

Debt Collector seizes money from bank account in California [ 5 Answers ]

I have a credit card company that has been pursuing me for the balance due. The card was in my name, and my ex-husband ran it up to the MAX. They filed for judgment in the county I live in northern California, and I was never served papers (for the $ judgment part), so they won by default. ...

Can debt collector freeze bank account in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sister that was sued by a credit card company, and I believe a judgement was obtained by the credit card company against her. My mother has a checking account, and she wanted my sister on the bank account, because she is 80 years old and if in the event she happens to die unexpectedly, she...

Legal hold on bank account BUT I they put a hold on a larger amount than was in there [ 1 Answers ]

A state marshall put a hold on my account because of a judement but the hold was for more than I had in my account what can I do?

Can a debt collector garnish my entire bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint with my 16 year son. His account was frozen due to my garnishment because I am a co signer on his account. Can the debt collector seize his money?

View more questions Search