Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 5, 2014, 06:08 PM
    1099-DIV received for deceased spouse
    My father-in-law passed away in 2012. We didn't get all his investment accounts moved into my mother-in-law's name until mid-2013. Because the estate was relatively small, with all going to his wife, we didn't bother with probate, so never filed for a TIN for the estate. For 2013 my MIL is filing her taxes as single, but we have two 1099's that are problematic - one in his name and one for a joint account for dividends paid prior to getting the account retitled in her name. These are not for huge amounts - one is for $38 and the other $123. I'd like to just include both on my MIL's income tax return, but does she need to file 1099's showing the dividends received by her spouse as nominee for her? Or given the rather small amounts and the fact that this is husband and wife can she skip that? If we do go the 1099 route, I know the deadline for issuing 1099's was February - is there a risk of an IRS penalty for late filing of the 1099, even though it would be my MIL effectively issuing the form to herself? That would seem a bit silly, but we're talking the IRS here. Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated, thx.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2014, 06:32 PM
    ebaines,

Really? You normally GIVE advice on issues like this.

ATE
    Expert

Apr 6, 2014, 08:31 AM
    I know, I know. I'm actually looking for more practical advice than legal ... Any other ideas other than the one I suggest of issuing a mominee 1099 on behalf of my deceased FIL so that the income is reported on my MIL's tax return?
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Apr 6, 2014, 12:58 PM
    As a practical matter, I would just put the income on the return. In these cases I normally will keep a copy of Schedule B even if it is not required to be completed. Should the IRS send a letter regarding the amounts, you can tell them what happened and show them where it was reported. If the IRS tries to match up the 1099's to your father-in-law's return, the amounts will not exceed the filing requirement so I doubt you will get a letter.

I have filed 1099's late for clients (no matter what you do some people will not do anything until October). I have not seen one penalized (yet), but I always tell them they could be.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2014, 06:42 PM
    MLSNC's advice is sound and probably the best CoA, but an argument could be made that at least one of the 1099s (the one exclusively in his name) and possibly BOTH 1099s belongs to his estate and the estate should include the income on a fiduciary return (Form 1041).

Since these 1099s are the ONLY income for the estate, I suspect the fiduciary return would NOT be required, and hence the 1099s could safely be ignored and not reported on anyone's tax return.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Apr 6, 2014, 09:01 PM
    I think you would have to report it. Since the income is in the MIL's account it has been distributed. Assuming the estate has no other deductions, the income would pass-through to the beneficiary on the K-1 because it was distributed (income distribution deduction) and would wind up on her return anyway. The income would appear to be less then the estate exemption on the 1041 and would not be taxable as you noted, except for the distribution factor.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2014, 11:39 PM
    I agree that the logical thing to do is to pass through the interest and dividend payments to the heirs, but in passing through the estate and being liable for the fiduciary return, it legally becomes NON-taxable income.

Again, I would recommend to ebaines to just have his MiL claim the income, but I believe my point above is valid AND legal.
    Expert

Apr 7, 2014, 05:39 PM
    Thanks all. I'll go the 1099 route - seems like the safe thing to do, and given that we haven't gotten an EIN for the estate it's easier than having the estate file a 1041 and issue a K-1 to the spouse. Plus we've already filed the estate tax return form 706 - did that back in 2012 to preserve the rollover of the spousal estate tax exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-DIV received for my child: Do I report the dividends? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a 1099-DIV for my under-18 child. I am listed as the custodial parent. Do I need to report the Qualified and Ordinary Dividends as reported on the form on my taxes?

Received a 1042-S, a 1099-MISC, and spouse received a W-2 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about taxes. My case is a bit complicated, here are some details. I am native from Venezuela and have lived in the US for almost 20 years. Started with a J-1 for 13 years (undergrad/grad/postdoc), changed to an H1B for 4 years while I was working outside the...

How to report 1099-DIV? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-DIV with, lets say, $70.00 in box 1a and box 1b. I still hold the stock which has a "paper loss". Do I still have to report the amount in box 1a. And what can be done with box 1b? Thank you for any help with this matter. I always do my own taxes (the old school way), and...

1099-div [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased mutual funds in December 06 from T-Rowe Price and received 1099-DIV tax forms recently. I have small amounts of money reflected in the ordinary dividends and capital gain distributions boxes. Is it necessary to report these small amounts on my taxes? Thanks, John

View more questions Search