Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russharv63 Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2014, 02:08 PM
    Should I declare my stepson as my dependent if I file married filing separately"
    My wife and I got married in 2013 and will be filing "married filing separately' when we do our federal tax returns. She claimed her son as a dependent on her federal return. His date of birth was 01/14/1988. He did not live with us in 2013. He was not married as of 12/31/2013. He was unemployed in 2013 and we paid more than half of his support in 2013. He is her son and my stepson. If we file "married filing separately" on our federal tax return do we both list him as our dependent on our return or should he be listed only once?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2014, 02:19 PM
    If you can claim him, you only list him ONCE.

However, his income MUST be less than $3,900 in order for you to be able to claim him, even if you did provide more than half of his total support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file Married Filing Jointly or Separately? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B and my wife is a dependent on H4. So she doesn't work in US and hence has no income here. However, before marriage she was working in India for a couple of months in 2011 (for which she has already paid TDS in India) and also had income from other sources in India. So I am trying...

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Spouse on J-1 visa, do I file as married filing separately? [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I got married last year. He was here on the J-1 visa and left last month. His sponsor will file his taxes, so do I file mine as married filing separately, including his social security number, or as single? Also, will his sponsor get any information about my taxes? Sorry if...

File married filing jointly or separately, just married [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I got married in October 2008. I was living in Louisiana and her in Virginia. We now both live in Virginia. Our salaries and investments etc. vary greatly. Should we file married and jointly or separately?

View more questions Search