Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kokocorn Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2014, 01:44 PM
    Effects of mulberry tea
    After seeing the Dr. Oz show on mulberry tea, I ordered some online. I wanted it to lower my blood sugar and cholesterol. I have not checked on those numbers yet so not sure if it is working. However, I do have a blood pressure machine that my friend used to use and I ended up with. I've been checking that and see that my blood pressure has gone down but also my pulse rate has gone up. I read that normal pulse is 72. My pulse reads (changes daily) about 85 to some days 100. Should I worry? Do you think the tea made my heart rate faster? My next dr's appt is not until June but wondered if I should call my doctor. Otherwise, I feel fine.

Has anyone else tried mulberry tea and seen any changes?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2014, 01:45 PM
    The placebo effect at it's best yet again.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2014, 02:12 PM
    I am female age 67 and have never had a pulse of 72 in my life. Always around 90.
    You are worrying over nothing in that regard.

Be GLAD your BP went down, but you will find that your BP will vary from day to day, minute to minute. Along with that, those home cuffs aren't usually very reliable.

Dr. Oz will be the first to tell you that there is no SINGLE thing that you can eat or drink that will cure your ailments or make you healthier. Concentrate on an overall healthy diet, and it will be cheaper too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 02:39 PM
    I am in the healtcare sector and I do not trust fad diets, or anyone suggesting that a tea will bring down my blood pressure, or my cholesterol. I trust my doctor and the meds prescribed to me and I am healthy 72 year old. I use a blood pressure cuff occasionally and I trust the reading. I take it first thing in the morning, am quiet while it is being read and it always turns out to be what it when my doctor does it in her office. A portable blood pressure machine is part of the gear I carry around for my clients, but very rarely have to use it.

Yes the tea may have raised your pulse if it is normally lower. No, I don't think you have to call your doctor but stop drinking the mulberry tea.

Walking is good to bring down blood sugar levels and blood pressure.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 02:54 PM
    Do you add anything to the tea?

Apr 4, 2014, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Do you add anything to the tea?
    No, I don't add anything to the tea.

Thanks for all the responses. I was a bit worried about my pulse rate going up but will wait until June for my next appt. If my blood sugar and cholesterol go down, I think I'll keep taking the tea. If it didn't help with those two things, I may as well stop taking it. Yes, I will go walking and try to eat healthier. But I do like the tea and if it helps with sugar and cholesterol I'd like to keep taking it. Only if it didn't help, I'll stop. I'm glad no one's too concerned about my pulse rate going up. I just wondered if that seemed too high.

Okey, dokey. Thanks everyone.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 05:59 PM
    A blood test is the only way to tell if cholesterol is down. The tea will not lower your blood sugar. I think I mentioned that the tea probably elevated your pulse, and suggested you not drink it.

Are you a diabetic on meds ? If so, keep taking your meds please.

Apr 5, 2014, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    A blood test is the only way to tell if cholesterol is down. The tea will not lower your blood sugar. I think I mentioned that the tea probably elevated your pulse, and suggested you not drink it.

Are you a diabetic on meds ? If so, keep taking your meds please.
    No, I am not a diabetic. However, I admit I do like my sweets and worry that someday I may become diabetic. How can you be so sure the tea will not lower my blood sugar? I've been reading up on it and shows promise. It did lower my blood pressure. I'm not saying to only drink tea. I know I have to exercise and eat healthier. I'd like to keep trying it until June when I go for my checkup and see the blood test results. If I remember, I'll post my results here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 5, 2014, 12:34 PM
    Keeping a log of when you take both blood pressure and heart rate may reveal some habits/patterns to look at over time as small innocent things can elevate heart rates, and it may only be temporary. Recheck high results in 20 minutes or so after a rest period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mulberry Extract [ 5 Answers ]

Hi ! This is my first time posting on this forum. I´m a little bit confused. I´ve seen whitening products that contain mulberry extract. Is mulberry extract linked to hydroquinone ? Thanks.

Redbush tea: can it have negative effects as well? It seems to give me stomach cramps [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink normal tea or coffee. Redbush seems to trigger my tendency to stomach cramps sometimes. I don't drink more than 4 cups a day, with honey and milk.

Mulberry pills [ 2 Answers ]

Are Mulberry Pills good for losing weight?

My Mulberry tree isn't looking too good lately. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Mulberry tree in the backyard. First of all let me tell you I live in Arizona and it's been over 110 for 2 straight weeks. A friend told me to water it.. a lot. I started watering it more often, about 3 times a day. It started to take off and really expand and get wide.. well then I...

Paper mulberry trees [ 1 Answers ]

Is the fruit from the paper mulberry edible? If so, is it sweet?

View more questions Search