Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolphenfan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2014, 12:50 PM
    What size posts should be used for an above ground deck?
    Im working on a 16x13 deck for an above ground pool. The deck is only 4 1/2 feet off the ground and is mainly for getting in and out of the pool. My questions is, what size posts should I use, 4x4 or 6x6?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Use 6X6, they are so much stronger and look much better.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Jun 6, 2014, 05:28 PM
    Both are adequate for that size deck, your determining factors here are what look you prefer and your budget. Either way you are looking at a minimum of 6 posts for proper support. And if possible I would reduce the deck to 16×12 it will save you a ton on material cost. Good luck with your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size ground wire do I need for a 10 mega-Hertz ground 400 feet long? [ 1 Answers ]

We are adding a new ground that is 400 feet away, and we need to size it for 10 mega-Hertz. Can you please tell me the size cable that we need to install?

Deck tables, tributary load, and beam size for deck [ 4 Answers ]

I am confused with "deck tables" from different sources, specifically concerning beam size for a deck. I am planning a basic deck as shown: 9677 Sources that describe the "tributary load" and "tributary length" would allow me to use as little as (1) 2x6 for the "front beam" (tributary...

Posts on concrete deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2nd story concrete deck made with Polydeck... new construction home... and wish to put up railing... Would like to use aluminum balusters that look like wrought iron, probably "Deckorator" line... and Trex post and rail supports... But what would be the best method to attach the Trex posts...

Distance of deck posts? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to build a deck attached to the end of my house. It will be 12 feet out from the house. The posts will be 2 x 10" concrete blocks (to be covered with artificial stack rock). How far apart can my posts be. Is 12.4foot centers too far apart? This would cause about 11 foot of span between...

View more questions Search