Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimjacobi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2014, 12:02 PM
    Required notice of termination on a month-to-month tenancy
    I am a tenant in a landlord/tenant lease of a house in California. The lease period is eight months after expiration of which the tenancy becomes month-to-month. In the lease agreement there is no provision for the amount of time required to notify landlord of intention to vacate premises. The lease expires May 31, at which time the landlord has told me that I must give 60 days notice of intent to vacate. Can my landlord require me to give 60 days notice or just the standard 30 days?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2014, 12:55 PM
    If your tenancy has been more than a year the notice period is 60 days. When a lease goes month to month, all the terms of the original lease except rental and term remain in effect. If the landlord wants to require 60 days he needs to get you to agree to a new lease. If you don't agree, then he can force you to vacate on 5/31.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 10:29 AM
    ScottGem is incorrect. If you have lived there for more than a year your notice period is NOT 60 days. As long as the expired written lease does not state otherwise, the amount of notice that a tenant must give to terminate a month-to-month tenancy is 30 days regardless of how long the tenant has lived there. Only a landlord must give 60 days to terminate a month-to-month tenancy if the tenant has lived there over a year.

You can read more about your rights and obligations here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rjt
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2014, 01:46 AM
    I am not in California, but in states where I owned rental property, Georgia, Tennessee, and Missouri, after a lease expires, it is still the rental agreement, and the terms of that lease are valid,

I would go with that a notice to move, must meet the terms of that lease. Merely reverting to month to month, does not invalidate the other terms of written lease,
    ** assuming that is noted in the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the required notice time to evict a month to month tenant in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

I have a basement tenant who has been slow pay. No trouble, just can't pay on time. He does pay before it is 30 days late, but I want to ask him to leave. How much notice do I have to give him? 60 days? 30 days? What if he decides not to pay rent during this time? I don't have a written lease.

Month to month tenancy in California and correct notice to vacate [ 7 Answers ]

Tenant is a holdover and his tenancy is now month to month, with the rent being due on the first. Tenant gave us notice on August 31, to vacate on October 3. We believe that since he's a monthly tenant, not a daily tenant, if he wants to stay beyond October 1st, then he owes us money for the...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Notice of Termination for Month To Month tenancy - Virginia [ 22 Answers ]

Hello all, We have been renting this unit from a landlord who is giving us a bit of trouble. We signed the lease on June 2006 and the lease ended on June 2007 so now it’s month-to-month. On March 31, 2007 the landlord sent us a greeting card that the rent will not be raised. Here are her...

View more questions Search