Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mooreb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2014, 02:10 PM
    Slack Dad
    Okay my kids farther was working,got hurt really bad,so he sign up and started to receive SSI,and sued the company for an lump some of money but have not yet recievei it yet,as of to day he still own back pay for his 4 kids whach know is 28 and youngest 14,Sooo upset cause when he fought out about the money I lost all contant with him,can he be made to pay, Please Help.

Apr 3, 2014, 02:14 PM
    Slack Dad
    • Can an mother and kids receive back pay from child suppot from farther after he sued big company,and recieveing SSI.Childrens now 28 and 14. Please help
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Was there a child support order already? If not then you might be able to collect for the 14 year old but it is past time to collect for the 28 year old.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 04:09 PM
    When he does collect the settlement from the lawsuit it is possible to collect back support from that (provided there was a support order in place). As far as the SSI, that is not able to be garnished. If there is a current order for the 14 year old he will continue to owe but because he is not working he can have it modified. SSI does not count as income in trying to calculate support. So, if he goes back to court to have the order modified it is possible that the future amounts due will be less depending on what type of settlement he got.

Apr 3, 2014, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    When he does collect the settlement from the lawsuit it is possible to collect back support from that (provided there was a support order in place). As far as the SSI, that is not able to be garnished. If there is a current order for the 14 year old he will continue to owe but because he is not working he can have it modified. SSI does not count as income in trying to calculate support. So, if he goes back to court to have the order modified it is possible that the future amounts due will be less depending on what type of settlement he got.
    He said they drop his case do of his injured leg,and not able work and pay,so he said he don't own no back pay from the time the four kids was born,As of now one is now 28,24,19,and 14,all his kids. The settlement is a very very large amount.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 4, 2014, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooreb View Post
    He said they drop his case do of his injured leg,and not able work and pay,so he said he don't own no back pay from the time the four kids was born,As of now one is now 28,24,19,and 14,all his kids. The settlement is a very very large amount.
    Was there a child support order in place ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2014, 04:25 AM
    If you want our help you need to answer our questions. Was there a child support award in place.

If he claims they dropped the case, then you should have been informed and there should be a court record of it.

Bottom line, is they may have reduced the amount of support to zero because of his income, but it is likely he still owes back support if there was a court order. You need to talk to support collection agency in your area about grabbing part of the settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much slack on drive belt mtd 13.5hp [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the engine on my MTD 13.5hp briggs put deck back now there is too much slack on deck belt PTO won't engage

Timing chain slack [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 72 gmc trunk with a 350 small block.I just changed my timing chain because the old chain had slack and was hitting the cover.so now that I've put the new one there seems to be slack in the new one.so what can be done to fix this problem. Thank you

View more questions Search