Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2014, 11:50 AM
    THey used to have people running around claiming the first Atomic bomb test was going to set the atmoshpere on fire and incinerate the planet.

That didn't happen either.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 11:52 AM
    They still can't drink the water in West Virginia, that's still happening.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2014, 11:59 AM
    I know lots of people in West Virginia that are drinking the water... perfectly safe water... better tasting and cleaner than what most of the Southwest and deep south call drinking water.

West Virginia isn't the size of Delaware.
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 12:21 PM
    You know full well what community I speak of,

» This Is What Water Looks Like In West Virginia Right Now? Thanks To ?Freedom Industries?
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2014, 01:13 PM
    You said West Virginia... most of West Virginia doesn't get its water from that source.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 01:27 PM
    And who cares about the people who do....
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2014, 01:33 PM
    Gee... Chicago managed to survive how many decades with the cesspool that ran through it...and New York and London...etc...

And those were far, far worse....and were that way GENERATIONS.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 01:50 PM
    I can guarantee that the water that flows out of the City of Chicago treatment plant is safer for you to drink than for me to drink from a natural spring in the Catskill Mountains . The sewer treatment plant water that discharges into our local river is safer to drink than water flowing down the river . The Jardine Water Purification Plant pumps a billion gallons daily to Chitown consumers ;and it's perfectly safe.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Gee... Chicago managed to survive how many decades with the cesspool that ran through it...and New York and London...etc...

And those were far, far worse....and were that way GENERATIONS.
    And how many people got sick and died from the water and mosquitoes and who knows what?
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 02:24 PM
    That's great but have you looked at map of the people who live along stream rivers and creeks and depend on them for their water? The ruralpeople don't count when it comes to making money, and big messes.
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 03:23 PM
    maybe the people in W Va can go back to work in the coal mines ....oops no they can't the emperor already told us that when he's finished ,the coal industry will cease to exist.
    Maybe al those rural people in W Va can construct windmills
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And how many people got sick and died from the water and mosquitoes and who knows what?

Well the Chicago river is famous for once being so polluted it caught fire.
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    maybe the people in W Va can go back to work in the coal mines ....oops no they can't the emperor already told us that when he's finished ,the coal industry will cease to exist.
    Maybe al those rural people in W Va can construct windmills
    WEST VIRGINIA COAL FACTS
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 05:42 PM
    Yes so a transition is needed there as it is in other places. The thing is you are either signed on to the climate change agenda or you are not, no amount of statistics on how beneficial an industry is will make any difference, some industries that employed vast numbers of workers have disappeared; ie, Ice harvesting and storage, Feed and grain for horses and even more will disappear in the future, who remembers comptometer operators, switchboard operators, typists. The use of coal will decline, just as the use of other minerals will decline and something will take their place.

The argument we still have to have is whether our attempts to modify climate change are of any practical as opposed to theoretical use. The Canutists among us still want to turn the tide and maintain the status quo, whilst others understand change is inevietable and we need to put our energies into changing the way we do things to mitigate the impacts
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 05:46 PM
    My rebut to Tom statement is the coal industry is alive and well in WVA.
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 05:51 PM
    But a person who has seen a recent version of the revised rule said it would propose an emissions limit of 1,100 pounds of carbon dioxide per megawatt hour for coal plants and 1,000 pounds per megawatt hour for large gas-fired plants. Last year’s version was only slightly different, setting a 1,000-pound limit for both types of plants.....

The person and others briefed on the rule said such stringent limits would ban new coal plants, which generally release about twice as much carbon dioxide as the proposed limits. Even the newest, most advanced coal-fired power plants in the world would fall far short of that revised standard, they said.

The only way coal plants could comply is to capture carbon-dioxide emissions and stick them underground—a costly process that hasn’t been demonstrated at commercial scale before.
    EPA Plan to Curb New Coal-Fired Power Plants - WSJ.com

Basically ,the coal industry will be reduced to whatever export business it can garner .
    Expert

Apr 3, 2014, 06:07 PM
    They can upgrade to higher efficiency air pollution technology. You know like the horse for a space shuttle. Rotary dial phones to a Samsung.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2014, 07:55 PM
    sequestration is a pipedream, what has to be done is find a use for carbon dioxide, I don't know why research isn't headed in that direction, extract and use the carbon and return the oxygen to the atmosphere
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2014, 03:21 AM
    what has to be done is find a use for carbon dioxide
    like growing food ?
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Apr 4, 2014, 03:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    like growing food ?
    And dump the excess into the world's oceans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with Penn foster keystone project! Please help! [ 0 Answers ]

Help with Penn foster keystone project!

I'm looking for help for the keystone furniture project# 39090400. If anyone can help [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone can help me with th e keystone furniture project#39090400 please contact me.

Keystone Furniture Project: 39090400 [ 23 Answers ]

I'm need help with Penn Foster final bookkeeping project Keystone Furniturt ID:39090400. Willing to pay.

Keystone slipped [ 6 Answers ]

My home has a decorative stone border surrounding the front door. The border has an arched top and the stones are mortared together. One of the stones of the arch has slipped a few inches and needs to be returned to its proper location. My problem is in moving it. It is somewhat heavy and I...

View more questions Search