Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbagony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Re-class from salary to hourly
    Hi,
    Can an employee be reclassified from salary to hourly if they do not perform any functions that would warrant them being salary. The salary classification was done in error. Can their pay be reduced?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2014, 12:27 PM
    Sure they can... they could even make you a part time employee. Happens to a lot of people. As hourly you must get paid OT where you would be expected to work without compensation as a salaried employee.
    pbagony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2014, 12:34 PM
    Here's my main problem.. the employee was given a substantial raise and made salary based on what was expected of them. The employee has not fulfilled this expectation and is taking advantage of the "salary" status. I know I can change her classification to hourly but can I legally reduce her rate of pay based on the job she is performing?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Sure, salaried positions are usually higher because there is enough padding built in to allow for the expected work beyond normal hours.

Hourly you pay them for every hour they actually DO work.

I am assuming you are in the USA... and they don't have a labor contract.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2014, 12:50 PM
    Protocol would be to run this by the one who upgraded them in the first place if it was not you, before you make an arbitrary decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary vs Hourly [ 2 Answers ]

I classified as salary but I read that if your hour change to work load you are not salary, example my schedule changes 3 times per year due to level of business. 13 weeks I work 48 hrs / 13 weeks I work 60 hours and 26 weeks I work 54 hrs am I stilled classified as Salary since I'm a manager

Salary or Hourly ? [ 4 Answers ]

I work for a small company (about 40 people), based in Texas. The owner has everyone as salaried employees, not just managers. Is this legal ? He requires us to be on call and work longer hours when required, but does not want let us leave early or miss any time when we need to be out of the...

Salary vs hourly [ 3 Answers ]

If a person is salary do they get paid 40 hours per week and no overtime? If they are hourly they only get paid the hours they work including overtime at time and a half.

Salary vs Hourly, punching a clock on salary. [ 2 Answers ]

My company put me on salary a few years back. I still have to work overtime and I still have to punch a time card, I just dont get paid for any overtime hours. Also I have not gotten the standard raise that I used to get anymore. I was wondering is this fair practice?

View more questions Search