Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngusE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2014, 12:01 AM
    Law of Demand Query
    The Law of Demand in economics states that when a price fluctuates, demand is inversely related. However it has also been stated that if consumers demand more of a good its price will rise, less of a good its price will fall which is a positive relationship.
    I'm confused as to how the law states of an inverse relationship and yet therein also lies a positive relationship.

Could someone please help to clarify this?

If people demand more of a product, firms will respond by hiking the price because of increased demand they can charge more? However as the price rises less and less is demanded as per the law? I this were true why would businesses even try a price hike, is there an ultimatum at which the benefit of the marginal increase in price is greater than the demand/price ratio the firm was previously producing at before?

Thank you.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2014, 05:43 PM
    I think you need to place supply in the equation, prices do not just fluctuate in response to demand they also fluctuate in response to supply and the interaction of demand and supply govern price and the number of competitors is also a strong factor.

The inverse relationship you speak of is prices rise, demand falls, prices fall demand rises. The elasticity of demand also helps to determine price there is a point of indifference to price below which consumers will buy and above which consumers will be more selective

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Market demand curve and law of demand [ 0 Answers ]

What dose market demand curve reflect the law of demand

Traffic Law - Unpaid parking fine query [ 2 Answers ]

I have been contacted by a debt collectors agency asking for a large some of money for an unpaid parking charge at my old university site for earlier in the year with my reg number and details of my car. However it is the first I have heard of it and have had no previous opportunity from the...

Daily water demand, Domistic water demand [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All I need some doc for daily water demand for Water tank size

View more questions Search