Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ho1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Drain flies
    I am having the drain fly problem in my house in New Jersey. The local pest company professionals identified these as drain flies.

The house is 25 yrs old and on a slab. It is a ranch style with no basement. I have two bathrooms one with a shower and a tub. It has been 2 years since I bought this house and I had to get it snaked 4 times by a local plumbing company so far. The first 6 months were OK. Since then I started seeing the drain flies. One thing I have noticed is that the numbers of flies are lot less in winter than in summer.

Based on the details can you suggest if a camera inspection will help to tell if the pipes under the slab are cracked or broken?

My local plumbing company tells me that something like a hair-line crack in the drain/sewer could be causing these flies and there is no way to find out using a camera inspection since the pipe is black.

I have tried all kinds of drain cleaners and bleach, but did not help solve the problem. I also smell sewer gases sometimes near one of the bathroom sink and the wasing machine drain.

Can you please suggest the path forward?

Thanks and really appreciate your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Sewer gas smell and flies leads me to think you have a trap somewhere near the smell that is dry. The flies live in the pipes and usually can't get inside the house unless the water level drops in a P trap and lets gas in. Do you think your washing machine is trapped correctly or is it possibly going into a pipe in the wall that goes straight down to the drain line. Try bleaching the heck out of the pipe the washer goes to, not the rubber part attached to the machine. Cap that pipe for a few days with plastic wrap and see if things improve. If it improves then there is your source of both problems. You can create an external trap but you'll need 2" pipe to handle the pressurized discharge of the machine.
    callisto9 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Are you sure they are drain flies? I thought I had them, too, but then I started noticing they were everywhere in the house, not just by sinks. Turns out I had fungus gnats. They look very similar to the drain flies.

Fungus gnats are actually easier to get rid of, as they breed in potting soil. Airing out the soil, or getting rid of it, eliminates the problems.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 07:06 AM
    We will still have the mysterious gas smell. Please look into the washer drain pipe.
    Summer77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Comment on callisto9's post
    Because I have houseplants I brought a couple plants in the winter and soil.. will get rid of them... Pray for me that this works...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fruit flies [ 1 Answers ]

In my apt. How do do kill them pemanently. Got rid of them once some how , bought 3 bananas and they're back. Tried flying insect spray and now into hair spray to avoid my toxicity.

Ears and flies [ 1 Answers ]

I have these flies in my ear and I can sometimes hear them buzzing, what should I do to get help with this?

Mosquitoes, flies, et al... [ 45 Answers ]

Some say that God has a purpose for everything he does. What do YOU believe his purpose was for creating mosquitoes, flies, and other pests?

Gnats/flies in drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry for posting another question so quick after you answered the first but I had something else I wanted to get your opinion on. This is my first house and I am still learning on how to work simple plumbing jobs. We have a clean-out on the outside of our house so you can access the pipe that runs...

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!

View more questions Search