Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LightCross Posts: 87, Reputation: 29

Apr 1, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Being labeled as creepy by colleagues
    As the title said, I got one problem with one of my girl colleague in work (let's call her Y). Here is how it went.

One day I just finished my job and as usual I walked out from the office heading for station (everyone use same station). During way to the station I stopped at the traffic since it was red, waiting for it to turn green, I was alone at that time until I heard some footsteps from behind, so I turn around, and there I saw her, so I said hi then we walked together to the station. The air was kind of awkward since both of us tired from work, so I tried breaking the ice by asking: I bet you didn't expect I would turn around at the traffic awhile ago? She replied: yes, I didn't expect that, that was amazing, did you know I was there? Then I said: well I can hear the footsteps so I know. Y paused abit after hearing my reply, which I thought was kind of weird(?) and I can't read her expression at that time since she had a flu mask on, but since she responded well after that when we continue the conversation in train maybe I worried too much or so I thought.

Then 3 days later, I was surprised hearing from my other colleague (a guy), that Y posting something in her twitter mentioning about 'her creepy colleague'. Since I don't do twitter much and I don't have Y's twitter as well my other colleague showed me her post which said ['bet u didn't expect me to turn around didn't you? I can tell from your footsteps'<--what a horror please stop, so creepy] or so she posted, the date also same. Seeing that I was so surprised! I mean why the hell she said something that made me sound like I was stealing her underwear or something? It was like I am stalking her or something. And it is not like we have just working together for a day. I have been workig with her for 1 year, so I think it is normal knowing her habits. What I did was only presented her habit as topic, and I am sorry if my way of presenting it was bad or creepy but why need to make it public?
    The main problem is that she has my other girl colleagues twitter so there are probability that they will read her post, although she didn't say my identity there.

So guys please tell me your opinion, if what I did was wrong please do tell me, any good advices even critics are welcome
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2014, 09:11 AM
    You said you know her from work... but there is a huge difference of knowing someone.. and recognising someone.

If you only casually recognise her... and haven't really spoken with her, then what you said might come across as a bit strange. A , Hello might have been more appropriate. If you talk with her a lot in the course of your work... then maybe what you said wouldn't have been all that strange. Though that was still an unsuaual coment to start with.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 1, 2014, 09:16 AM
    I think you are making this more of a deal than what it needs to be. You made a bad impression on a gossiping blabbermouth, so what?

I shrug it off, and let it go. Now you know something creepy about her! Don't run your mouth like she did, or let this bother you.
    LightCross Posts: 87, Reputation: 29

Apr 1, 2014, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You said you know her from work... but there is a huge difference of knowing someone.. and recognising someone.

If you only casually recognise her... and haven't really spoken with her, then what you said might come across as a bit strange. A , Hello might have been more appropriate. If you talk with her a lot in the course of your work... then maybe what you said wouldn't have been all that strange. Though that was still an unsuaual coment to start with.
    I have been working with her for 1 year, it is a team work, mostly design project, so we got lot of time interacting, I can say that I know her to certain point,with that thing in mind I blurted that comment. I did say hello,as opener when we came across each other,she said hello also, then since it was silent afterward I tried to break the ice with that comment only to have it backfired at me.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I think you are making this more of a deal than what it needs to be. You made a bad impression on a gossiping blabbermouth, so what?

I shrug it off, and let it go. Now you know something creepy about her! Don't run your mouth like she did, or let this bother you.
    Sorry, yeah i think i did making this more of a deal than what it needs to be, i am the only foreigner in my workplace so it really does make me worry about things like this. And no i don't want torun my mouth like she did, i never interact with her after the event ( except in work ) ,since i dont have her twitter so it would be weird if i mentioned things she blabbered in her twitter which i am not supposed to know. My other colleagues still interact with me normally so i dont think they think bad about me, which made me abit relieved
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2014, 10:21 AM
    Thanks for clarifying that... working with someone on a team... interacting frequently... the comment you made would be far less out of place.

I guess its clear what she thinks of you... and it does say a lot about her character.. or more like the lack thereof... by what she did.

Best you can do it suck up whatever courage you have left after the neutering incident... and show that you have the character to not stoop to her level.

Won't help the pain in your gut... but you will get past it... and you can only hope the people around you pay attention and see it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 1, 2014, 10:37 AM
    It must be tempting to want to say something (to her, to her friends) but don't. Ignore her. People are for the most part not so childish as to make judgments based on one other person's remarks. They know you aren't creepy. I suppose if you ever do run into her, you can say OOPS really loudly and with a smile and run away.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2014, 12:52 PM
    I would ignore the whole situation. It's very immature of her. You weren't meant to see the comment -pretend you didn't. If you happen to be in a one on one talk with her you might mention, "I saw what you wrote about me being creepy... Another colleague thought I should know. If my comment wasn't welcome, I apologize. At the same time, it wasn't very nice to bash me publicly when I was just making conversation."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dream company and nightmare colleagues [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of my M.Sc. In Construction Management, I got placed with a renown MNC and was contented about it, All my hard work paid me well. After my formal induction in the company, I joined the project site, which was very much beyond my expectations in culture and treatment wise. My first...

Introducing yourself to colleagues [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find sample business letters for introducing yourself to colleagues?

Creepy, creepy movie.. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I remember something about a creepy kid who's playing flippermachine in a bar, and his teacher sees him and takes him home. But his parents are looking in the teachers bag, when she's gone and the boys sister have no mouth and is sitting in front of a TV. And then the teacher takes the kid...

Self Introduction Email to Colleagues [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently a Military Base Store Manager overseas and moving to United States, another military facility. During the facility inspection by Mr. John, he mentioned a name of the General Manager of the facility I'm moving to. I like to introduce myself to the new facility General manager. And...

Self introduction as Administration manager to colleagues [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get few sample self introduction letter to introduce myself as newly joined administration manager in a company Thanks & Regards Sasi

View more questions Search