Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fmiro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2014, 08:47 AM
    Replacing a 4500 watts water heater for a 11 kw tank less water heater. Any problem?
    The water heater in my house 4500 watts @ 230v. I am replacing it with a Titan tank less water heater model N-120, which is rated at 11 KW @ 230 V. My main beaker is 150 amps, the panel is rated at 200 amps. Any problems with the main breaker?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 1, 2014, 09:13 AM
    The only thing I question is whether an 11kW heater will keep up. Most whole house units are far bigger.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2014, 09:35 AM
    along with Stan's comments, you may be ok as the load for 11kW @ 240 is 46 amps.
    Now, what you don't know is the load of everything else...
    If you are already at 80% load you may be overloading your service...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2014, 05:20 PM
    If you have 150 main, the panel may be rated for 200 but you won't get more than 150. That's a lot of draw for 150 Amps.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2014, 05:47 AM
    Why? Electric tankless heaters are energy hogs, not savers. And as stanfortyman said, it may not be enough. An 11K heater is half of what most tankless heaters are for residential use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Can I run 2 4500 watt water heater elements on a 30 amp breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

I was asked to diagnose a problem with a water heater; I discovered 1 of 2 elwments not working, I measured the amp draw of the working element at 18. 36 amps, the elements were the same wattage from the factory, the upper reset switch had a the lower element shut down, if I were...

Rheem water heater is leaking water from bottom of tank. I need to shut the water of [ 4 Answers ]

How do I shut off the water to my Rheem water heater. It is leaking

Rheem water heater is leaking water from bottom of tank. I need to shut the water of [ 2 Answers ]

How do I shut off the water to my Rheem hot water tank. 40 gallon model # 21IR40DV

Very low water pressue to house after replacing leaking valve on water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the leaking valve leading to the hot water heater, drained the hot water heater, turned the main valve to the house back on and now have very low water pressure to the house (cold and hot) The house has galvanized metal pipes... HELP please!:confused:

View more questions Search