Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justincurran7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2014, 01:30 PM
    Eviction using a power of attorney
    Can I appear in NY court for my father in law who lives in FL and is ill and unable to come to NY. I have a power of attorney from him. He wants to evict a tenant for non-payment. We have begun the process and at the initial hearing, this issue (POA) was brought up and the judge scheduled a trial so am I to assume that the POA is a non-issue?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 01:36 PM
    The phrase "power of attorney" causes much confusion. A POA makes you an "attorney-in-fact" for your father, but it doesn't make you an attorney at law. These are two entirely different things. Thus while you can sign legal documents (such as deeds, mortgages, notes, etc.) pursuant to the POA, unless you are licensed to practice law, you cannot use it to appear in court for the other person.

Who knows. The judge may be going to overlook what I have told you. But I wouldn't count on it. The best bet is to arrange for your father to appear by telephone, if he cannot appear in person.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2014, 02:36 PM
    I tend to disagree. If you represent yourself as your father's personal representative empowered to act for him in legal matters you should be OK. Just don't represent yourself as an attorney.

I don't know what the POA actually says, but you might get one from him that specifically authorizes you to act for him in any eviction hearing.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 03:05 PM
    If the property is owned by an individual and not a corporation, partnership or LLC then the OP can appear in court under a POA as long as he informs the court that he is not an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power of Attorney handling eviction [ 4 Answers ]

Four months ago our NY county court changed its policy on agents handling tenant evictions. I have always handled my mothers income property for her including evictions. With myself on the paperwork as agent for owner. What I've been told is only the owner or attorney can sign the petitions and...

How do I get power of attorney [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get power of attorney over my sister that has Aids and is suffering from some form of aids related dementia. She is refusing care while hospitalized and wants to go home and die.

Power of Attorney [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a normal fee paid to the power of attorney?

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I have been assigned power of attorney for both parents. I am afraid that my brother will go to the bank and put all of my parents assests in an account with his name only. Can he legally do this?

Power of Attorney? [ 2 Answers ]

I will most likely not be present when we close on our house. I want to handwrite a power of attorney and get it notarized. Will this be sufficient? Here is an example of what I will write: To Whom It May Concern: I, insert name, born on insert date with social security number insert...

View more questions Search