Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DirectionWest Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2014, 08:03 AM
    I got to get a new news lens for my camera. Should I go for 18-105mm or 55-200mm ?
    I own a Nikon with the basic lens, 18-55mm. Need to get a new one. I'm a little confused with it. Should it be 18-105m or 55-200mm. Would getting a 55-200mm effect the zooming ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 12:21 PM
    What types of shots are you looking to take with it? Most "news" cameras are set up for closer range and wide angle. Depending on what the subject is your trying to get across.

Mar 31, 2014, 09:24 AM
    I'm looking for a lens that would help in candids basically and Fashion Photography. Basically what I meant is once I go to purchase a new lens - a Zoom Lens, should I go for 18-105 or 55-200mm cz the basic lens already is up to 55mm. But I guess by doing so I'll have to change the lens for different shots.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 03:48 PM
    An 18-105 is a pretty broad range. That should cover most of your shots. A lot is going to depend on what true F-stops you can achieve with the lens. If your shooting without natural light such as a studio the F-stops arent near as important as when doing outside shots. Also dont forget to get a decent filter for it to help further protect your lens.

Apr 1, 2014, 07:00 AM
    Okay so I should go for 18-105... Thanxx for the advice. In case I need more suggestion, I'll be back...
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Apr 4, 2014, 05:22 PM
    Tamron makes a 18-270mm... which is about as "all in one" as one could hope for. If you're looking for something serious for portraiture or fashion the 50-85 range is great. As Cdad said, the 18-105 would be pretty ideal for that. He also brought up another good point about the aperture. Know what lighting you're going to be using so you can plan ahead with the lens. When a lens functions poorly in low light, it REALLY functions poorly in low light.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2014, 12:02 PM
    Usually, the zooms you mentioned, have slow aperture. As a news man, you want something f2.8 and faster. As a journalist, you want to get as close as possible, so you probably want to use wide angle lens. So I suggest you look in that direction. From the lenses you've mentioned, I would definitely go with the 18-105mm.

Milo

Nov 5, 2014, 12:25 AM
    Thanxx a lot for the suggestions guys. Well I do need a lens that will help in low light photography and I do need a good F stop.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 27, 2014, 05:39 AM
    DirectionWest: You shoud own "normal" lens for your DSLR. That is 50mm lens. 50mm lens is inexpensive, even the fast one. You can get - lets say - Nikon 50mm / f1.8 for $100.00 brand new. If you want to spend couple hundred dollars more, you can go with 50mm / f1.2. This is a phenomenal lens with super shallow DOF that will allow you to shoot in dark places. Also, if you plan on shooting video with your DSLR, this lens would be a good choice.

Good luck

Milo
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Nov 28, 2014, 07:29 AM
    That's a lens every SLR shooter should own. Tack sharp and fast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Camera-lens [ 1 Answers ]

Can I mount a Sun 80-240 lens on a minolta 3000?

I just purchased a Nikon D5100 camera and I have the option of getting a 55-200mm le [ 5 Answers ]

I just purchased a Nikon D5100 camera and I have the option of getting a 55-200mm lense with a $100 discount. I am wondering in what situations I would use this lense and am wondering if it is something I should get?

I need to be educated on Nikon Camera Lens [ 3 Answers ]

I own a Nikon D40X and was wondering if someone could educate me I have a Nikon 55-200mm lens. What do the numbers actually mean? I am new to the SLR scene and want to learn all I can. If anyone knows a website that can better help me please let me know. Thank you in advance for your help

Camera Lens [ 3 Answers ]

Which is sharper, a fixed length focal lens or a zoom lens?

View more questions Search