Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dove305 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2014, 06:10 AM
    What I can do to help my condition until I can see a doctor?
    I moved to Albuquerque, NM. from Iowa 3/13 and have developed upper respiratory difficulties. The condition has gotten worse. I have a strong cough which is beginning to break up some of the congestion in my chest. I have taken ibuprofen to help with the pain in my head and ache in my body due to the coughing. I am 68 and a diabetic 2, I take insulin. I use a sleep apnea machine and it is difficult now to use it. My nose is so dry inside now. My mouth I just noticed is dry and I don't seem to be making mucus or spit.

I have a medical background as a cert. occupational therapy assistant and read about herbal suppliments and foods to heal. I normally take vitamins and herbal suppliments but in the move I had to leave them behind to be brought down later.
    This may be have an effect on my body as could the change in climate here and the pollution.

I have not seen a doctor here but have made steps to locate one. I just recently had to change my medicare coverage plan which will go into effect on April l. the other plan did not cover out of network providers. If I were to go to the emergency today I would have to pay out of pocket, if I wait until April 1st the new plan would cover. So I need some information as to what I may be dealing with and what I can do to help my condition until I can see a doctor?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 06:20 AM
    If there is an urgent care clinic near you, I urge you to go. Illness can affect your diabetes in a negative way.

There is no way we can assist you via the internet as there are tests that need to be run and a head to toe physical needs to be done.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 30, 2014, 06:24 AM
    You don't say how long you have had the cough. After a virus has run it's course, bacteria can move in, but the general rule is to wait at least 3 weeks before taking antibiotics, or you are just wasting them and developing immunity to them.
    Keep WARM, especially all around your torso, front and back. Maybe sleep with a heating pad to rotate from front to back. Keep HUMIDITY in the air. And most of all, DRINK tons of fluids, not cold ones. Without them you can't break up congestion.
    I would be careful about taking much ibuprofin without an OK from your diabetes doctor. It really is more a drug for inflammation. Tylenol is more for pain, but it too can be hard on the liver and kidneys if taken a lot. You'd be better off with combination drugs for congestion.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 06:30 AM
    You should never wait 3 weeks to start an antibiotic if there is a bacterial infection. This can lead to sepsis.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 04:58 PM
    No, I have never heard to wait three weeks to take an antibiotic. This time of year, in nursing homes in our area, where the weather has been producing viral infections because the weather has been hot and cold constantly; senior residents are kept on a regime of antibiotics, and on lock down, until we can venture in to do personal support.

Suggest a humidifier at night, cool air only. As for ibuprofin, I am a diabetic, and my doctor has no problem with me taking it (it will not spike blood sugar) if taken in moderation. I take it for gout and other painful symptoms.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 30, 2014, 05:41 PM
    I meant for virus colds that linger! How many doctors test regular patients for bacterial infection? They write scripts willy nilly.
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 05:45 PM
    All doctors I work with test prior to writing for an antibiotic unless infection is obvious. This is due to the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 07:44 PM
    I would go to the emergency room now and even though you may be billed you may be able to make payments, or they may consider a better option since you do start coverage on the first. Or even consider calling your physician you just left first thing in the morning for over the counter suggestions to get you through a few days until the insurance kicks in.

A warm lemon tea with menthol flavor and staying hydrated and warm will bring comfort through the night as well as keeping your head elevated so you can at least get some rest until and use your sleep apnea mask.

Hope it helps and you get some professional relief soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A(n) _______ structure tests a condition and then takes one path if the condition [ 1 Answers ]

A) IF-THEN statement B) single alternative decision C) dual alternative decision D) sequence

Please tell me what is this condition? [ 0 Answers ]

What does this photo suggest? (post-septoplasty)

Please help me with this condition I have [ 0 Answers ]

I have been having really bad pain with sex and going to the toilet, my vagina gets very sore and hurts really bad. I went to a gynacolist and they said it something cervical? Its not cervical cancer something else and when they looked inside there was a red spot that is creating this soreness. Can...

The name of this condition [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I went and seen a gyno today and he said I have cervical something? Now its not cancer but it very painful durin sex or anything and the person said when he looked at me where there is suppost to be pink skin there is a red spot and is very sore. Do you know the name of this please? I wold...

What might be the doctor's diagnosis, and how the condition be treated? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has been compaining of severe abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, and low grade fever. She claims that she does not have a sexually transmitted disease, although the symptoms sounds positive .what might be the doctor's diagnosis, and how the condition be treated?

View more questions Search