Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjam60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2014, 04:57 AM
    Eviction of caregiver
    If you were given free room and board in exchange for caregiving and house cleaning, do they have to give you 30 day notice if they decide they don't want you any more
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2014, 05:15 AM
    Depends on where you live. Could be 5 days or 60. You need to be state specific.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 05:26 AM
    Not unless they intend to go to court to evict you. Then, as noted, the amount of required written notice can vary.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 30, 2014, 07:08 AM
    As noted laws vary by area. But generally, if the room and board were part of your compensation, then they probably do not have to give you notice to vacate.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Was there a written agreement? What is the general location? Was the caregiver fired for inadequate care given? Assuming that a new caregiver is coming, this must be a very clumbsy, uncomfortable situation, maybe an impossible situation if there is not enough room for two outsiders to be there, and care can't be interrupted. If the care was inadequate, but the law requires notice anyhow, and who knows whatever other possible factors, severance pay might be a better arrangement.

Can you provide some more details?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 31, 2014, 03:07 PM
    Tell us the state. In NJ any tenant who lives there as part of their compensation must be given at least 30 days written notice to move out if their employment has ended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to petition a caregiver [ 1 Answers ]

My mother in law is elderly and recovering from a stroke four years ago and then pneumonia more recently. She is still weak and needs assistance. My father in law has just returned to working as a letter carrier for the US Postal Service after having taken a month off to provide the assistance...

Caregiver [ 1 Answers ]

This is a riddle to me... could you help me sort it out? Man with serious health problems on disability at time of affair fathered child. He signed paternity acknowledgement papers. Child will be 20 (twenty) next month. She has drawn against his social security for 18 years - just shy of...

Caregiver in a will [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt had taken care of my grandmother from July 06 till jan 09,she worked full time the 1st yr,and also babysat her grand daughter the last 6 months. I am in Ontario canada. She and my brother are both executors to the will. She wants to make a claim against the will and knows she must step...

Is there compensation for a caregiver? [ 5 Answers ]

My elderly and disabled mother is moving in with my family, am I eligible for any compensation from the city, state, or government for her care? I live in Milwaukee, WI and I do not know where to start looking for information. I tried the social services website, but got nothing. If anyone has...

View more questions Search