Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willowtree73 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2014, 06:59 PM
    Booster seat requirements
    We are in VA and I just found out that my husband's 7 year old's mother has not been using a booster seat for him since he was 5 years old. I believe the law in VA is that the child has to be at least 8 years old before they can go without a booster. What can we do to make sure she follows the law or is punished for it so that we can keep our child safe? My husband has custody, but she will have him for half the summer and we are very nervous that he has not had appropriate safety measures taken. She refuses to listen to any reason and doesn't care if we ask her to use a seat. Help?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 07:09 PM
    Booster seat requirements usually go by age, weight, or height.

Does she have a booster seat? Can she afford one? Do you make one available to her when she picks up the child?

Is this law enforceable? If so, call the police and report her.

Mar 28, 2014, 07:11 PM
    http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/ofhs/pre...n/cps/laws.htm

In VA it's based solely on age which is 8 years old. We do offer our seat, she declines. I don't know if it's enforceable, but I do know there's a $50 fine for first time and $500 for second offense. I don't know what happens after that. She most definitely can afford a booster considering you can buy one at walmart for $10-40, and she just bought him a tablet for his birthday.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowtree73 View Post
    Virginia's Child Passenger Safety Laws

In VA it's based solely on age which is 8 years old. We do offer our seat, she declines. I don't know if it's enforceable, but I do know there's a $50 fine for first time and $500 for second offense. I don't know what happens after that. She most definitely can afford a booster considering you can buy one at walmart for $10-40, and she just bought him a tablet for his birthday.
    If there's a fine for not following the law, report her as soon as she leaves your property without the child in a proper booster seat.

Obviously she's not listening to your concerns, and won't. So get the law involved. Maybe after a few charges she'll comply to the law.

Mar 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
    If I report her then, how will I know where to direct them? They could take any road from our house, and could even be going somewhere other than her house.

Mar 28, 2014, 07:16 PM
    Sorry I'm not trying to be difficult, I am just concerned for our child and upset that it's gone this long without us knowing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 07:41 PM
    You don't allow her to leave unless he is buckled into the booster seat properly. If she won't comply with the law and your wishes, he does not go with her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 03:52 AM
    You know, I understand all the booster seat laws, but looking back when I was a child, there was not even seat belts, children lived, and there was little harm to most of it.

Is this really concern over the child, or issues with the child's mother.

If the child's father is that serious about it, he should not allow child to leave the home, unless in proper seat.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 04:35 AM
    Fr Chuck,

You are right..... seatbelt use and certainly car seat/booster seat use, were not the norm, but there is no question that injury and death related to car accidents for children have dropped substantially because of them. Accidents are still the number one killer of young children. Unfortunately many car seats and booster seats are not used correctly or used at all as in this situation.

I agree most definitely... dad has custody, child doesn't go without proper restraint. Buy one for the mothers car if need be. Think of it as buying it for the child and not the mother, if that helps, which it is anyway. Since the child is seven, make sure that he knows how to use it himself and teach him the importance of always using it. You can't control what the mother does once she is gone, but you can teach the child, and hopefully that will be enough.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 29, 2014, 05:18 AM
    When does the child turn 8?

I am trying to figure out how nothing has been said for two years. The father hasn't watched her put the child in the car before this? Is the father the one pressing this or are you?

While I believe in child safety and following laws, I do question your motivation and timing in this. Is she still attempting to get joint custody (previous question)? It is the "or punished for it" that makes this seem more personal than about the child's safety.

If the father is concerned about the child's safety, he contacts his lawyer to find out what he can legally do to keep the child safe. He documents her lack of child restraint devices and possibly goes back to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tahoe Seat Heaters & Driver's Power Seat [ 0 Answers ]

My wife has a 2003 Tahoe. The driver's power seat stopped working and both front heated seats stopped working. The heat lights do not come on at all. It is not a fuse. This happened twice before and then started working again on it's own. Please help.

My 2006 350 E Mercedes passenger seat seat belt warning light is always on. E [ 1 Answers ]

My passenger seat seat belt sign won't go off even after clicking belt.

Child booster seat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me... I was looking a booster seats for my son I have a nice one for my car but my dad puts one in his truck but the back seat does not have a shoulder belt just a lap belt so I was wonder those backless booster seats if I could use it with just a lap belt.....

View more questions Search