Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 27, 2014, 01:39 PM
    Failure to RMD for 2013
    I am going crazy with being the care giver for my wife full time for over a year, I think I failed to make the MRD for my 2013 taxes. Is it to late, to keep from getting the penalty?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 01:59 PM
    If you turned 70-1/2 in calendar year 2013 you have unti April 1, 2014 to take the first RMD. But for all subsequent years you must take it by Dec 31 of the appropriate year. Here's a worksheet from the IRS that explains it:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf

Your IRA custodian should be on top of this - did they not notify you of a required distribution?

Mar 27, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    If you turned 70-1/2 in calendar year 2013 you have unti April 1, 2014 to take the first RMD. But for all subsequent years you must take it by Dec 31 of the appropriate year. Here's a worksheet from the IRS that explains it:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/uniform_rmd_wksht.pdf

Your IRA custodian should be on top of this - did they not notify yuo of a required distribution?
    What happened, I opened a partial new account like 8 or 9 months ago and they did not notify me of my RMD, it is my fault for not keeping closer eye on the ball. I am way past the 70.5 and should know better. With all that is on my
    Plate everyday, I am lucky I know my own name.

That is what happens when you are your own tax preparer too. Had a bad experience with a paid preparer and started doing it myself.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Mar 27, 2014, 05:51 PM
    This penalty can be waived. Follow the instructions to Form 5329 and attach a statement as to what happened. Attach the form and statement to your return. You have to pay it, but if approved the IRS will refund it. In my experience you have to write them because they seen to overlook the request when the form is originally filed.

It helps if the you have received the RMD for the year in question before you request the waiver. It shows the IRS that you have taken steps to correct the situation.

Mar 27, 2014, 08:26 PM
    I don't know what has been going on. I tried to respond to the above post and thank him for the info. All of a sudden I received a message saying I was banned and would never be allowed back on with no reason stated. Something about "Bit Field" etc.

Then I tried to get back on about 1-2 hours later and it seems all is well. Not a clue
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 06:17 AM
    The site was down for administrative testing. We all got that message in some form or another.

Mar 28, 2014, 07:39 AM
    Thanks Tal, I pushed the enter bujtton and bamb it slammed me like I had just broken out of jail. "Like you are Banned" "Reason Unknown" "Duration of Ban, Forever". Sure had me scratching my head as to be thinking what the H*ll did I do wrong.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2014, 11:39 PM
    Good to know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a transfer satisfy my RMD? [ 9 Answers ]

Can I transfer a stock from an IRA account to a Taxable Account and still satisfy my Required Minimum Deduction for the year?

What are the tax consequences of not taking your RMD at 70 1/2? [ 1 Answers ]

When are you required to take the minimum distribution from your qualified IRA ?

I just had a baby on may 13 2013 and I got my depo shot June 24 2013 [ 1 Answers ]

I have been bleeding for 3 weeks and I have had a lot of blood clots and lots of painful cramping I'm steel bleeding heavy and I just want to no did I have a miscarriage

Partial RMD made [ 1 Answers ]

Our Mom passed, left 2 IRA's. The IRA's were distributed to 6 beneficiary accounts. WE found out that Mom had only a partial RMD taken out. For ease, let's say the RMD was $12000.00 and she had taken half. Now the 6 beneficiaries must make up the remaining $6000.00. How do we handle form 5329...

RMD from an inherited IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My minor boys inherited an IRA from my parents when they passed away. Last week I received a letter stating that they (Financial Institution) records indicating that the boys are not currently set up to receive systematic distributions. And if they do not take a distribution--it could...

View more questions Search