Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 10:47 AM
    Trademark, Patent, or Copyright?
    I'm playing with an idea in my head and just want to get a little clarification on some things before I become serious about anything.

What is the difference between a trademark, patent, and copyright?
    Let's say that I am thinking of designing a t shirt for sale with an exclusive design on it but I want to protect it. What would I put on that? And the bigger question, is it worth it?

I know a few years ago I had looked into a copyright for something and what I discovered is that A) the copyright process wasn't entirely cheap and B) copyright was essentially worthless if you didn't have the money to have high powered lawyers to back it up if someone wanted to steal it.

So, should I bother and if so, would it be trademark, patent, or copyright?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2014, 11:07 AM
    As I understand them... Trademark is a name of a business entity. Patent, has to do the invention of design of a product... Such as a wgget that removes thingamabobs out of doohickeys... copyright is something like visual, audio or printed works.

T-Shirt design would fall under copyright. But you are right... its on you to defend it.. and that takes deep pockets.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2014, 11:30 AM
    Years ago, I took a course in this in library school. Call your library reference desk. There are ways to protect yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venture Company acquired patent rights on January 3, 2005, for $661,500. The patent h [ 1 Answers ]

Venture Company acquired patent rights on January 3, 2005, for $661,500. The patent has a useful life equal to its legal life of 15 years. On January 5, 2008, Venture successfully defended the patent in a lawsuit at a cost of $105,000. a. Determine the patent amortization expense for the...

Copyright and Patent [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a term paper related to copyright and patent. I need some insights to prepare for the paper. Can you tell me whether one can apply for patent for a business model? Coca Cola and Pepsi have similar line of business. It seems business model cannot be patented as if so, Coke will not have...

What happens if I trademark a logo already in use? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay I found a nickname for a group of people that is becoming very popular. There is a lot of online stores selling this name or clothing as a logo, some of them even have it as part of their name for their sites online. But no one has put a trademark on it. What happens to them if I trademark...

View more questions Search