Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InshaZ Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2014, 02:48 PM
    How to learn another language independently?
    Hey there. So, I speak at-least 3 languages (which I learnt in my childhood) Urdu, Pothwari & English. However, it seems like when you're younger you have a stronger memory. Is that a myth?

Here's the thing; I really want to learn Arabic. I know how to read the old Arabic but, I'm not sure what the words mean as they are translated in Shakespearean English.

At school I've chosen Spanish as a 5 year course and let me tell you I'm having a hard time studying that. My Spanish teacher is originally Moroccan and believes learning a variety of languages will benefit you. My Spanish teacher speaks at-least 6 languages. She is actually quite young and said she moved to Spain in poor conditions when she was a child and it took her at-least months to learn the language (she had teachers support).

I'm the type of person who plans on giving up, but doesn't end up giving up. I've got a-lot on my plate right now, however I really want to start learning foreign languages, the only problems are that I'm afraid I'll forget the language if I don't have a language partner and I'm on a budget so buying a software or language books aren't an option. I want to learn independently. Any personal stories will be appreciated. :-)

Thank you.

Mar 25, 2014, 02:50 PM
    Error: at-least '3' months to*
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2014, 02:53 PM
    You don't learn them with the expectations of getting a financial return.

But yes you do have to use them or you will eventually forget them.

You do HAVE to use something where you hear the words pronounced by someone good at pronouncing them correctly. Learning just from a book you only learn how to read and write them.....and depending on the books chosen...you might not learn the proper grammar that goes with them. If you don't learn how to pronounce and recognise them...you would not be able to communicate with anyone in that language.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2014, 03:01 PM
    Learning on your own, independently, does not teach you pronunciation--a major component of a language. The best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. There are no Arabic speakers in your school?

Mar 25, 2014, 03:05 PM
    I'm a Muslim so for 6 years I studied the Qur'an. That isn't a problem as we read with the correct punctuation. My Spanish teacher speaks Arabic (Moroccan) however, I don't usually understand or learn from her even-though she pushes us.

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best techniques to learn a new language? [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested in learning German again. I want to teach myself, but what are the best ways of doing so?

Which language to learn next? [ 2 Answers ]

Just curious about some others opinions here. I'm currently a Computer Science student looking to go into programming professionally. To be honest, I don't know exactly what I want to do with it. Game design and programming has always been especially fun but I haven't decided. I've recently been...

Need to learn a new language. [ 11 Answers ]

Need to learn a new language... preferably Danish or Irish... I just think it will do 2 things in particular for me... 1) Well, ill have a new language to speak and write, I mean, how isn't that cool? Lol... 2) it will help me get my mind off less pleasing topics of my day... Any...

How to learn a language [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a good method for learning languages English to Portuguese?

Learn Kazakh Language [ 2 Answers ]

:) Hello Friends, I intend to learn Kazakh Language. Where can I get informations about Kazakh Language ? Please show me the way, thank you. Anthony PMH 02/04/2005 10:50 am MDT :)

View more questions Search