Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiositycat66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2014, 01:26 PM
    Making an object sink
    What would be the most energy efficient way to sink a floating object of 1 square kilometre in area 300 feet below the surface of water (or in other words drag it to the bottom). The method should not include putting a weight above the surface of floor or attaching a weight to the object. Hydraulics? Some sort of simple machine such as lever etc. How much energy in kilowatts/hour is roughly needed to sink this object? A few megawatts, hundreds of megawatts or thousands of megawatts? Remember the object is barely floating and applying just barely a small force makes it start to go underwater. The object is 1 square km in area. It has a mass which is just enough buoyant to keep it floating.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
    So what is your opinion. Note we don't do homework or science projects for you.
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2014, 07:00 AM
    Simply dropping a weight on it would be more efficient than building any elaborate mechanism. Applying a force would have to be sustained so that it doesn't float back up. But hey, do the math--maybe you could work for the government some day.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2014, 08:05 AM
    Putting a hole in it is pretty efficient.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 30, 2014, 06:02 AM
    Regarding power, the formula for it is force times velociity. Given that the object is barely buoyant it would take only a small force to sink it, and if you don't care how long it takes to sink then velocity may be small as well. Hence the power required may be quite small.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the pipe under my sink making a high pitched noise? [ 1 Answers ]

It sounds like there is an alarm going off under my bathroom sink. A constant high pitch whiny noise.

A change in the gravitation force acting on an object will affect the object's [ 1 Answers ]

A.mass B.coefficient of static friction C.weight D.inertia

Making a resin object impact resistant. [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a material or agent, such as some type of polymer, that will make a quarter to half inch thick resin object, in this case, a replica hockey mask, impact resistant ?

Under kitchen sink odor making me sick [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a rental house and the odor under the kitchen sink is so strong I have had a headache with intermittent nausea ever since I moved in (Four days ago). My landlord sealed up the hole where the plumbing goes to the dishwasher and other than that has no ideas. It is ONLY under the...

View more questions Search