Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancycajun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2014, 02:16 PM
    If I remarry, will I still receive his SS check?
    HI am a widow living on my deceased husbands SS monthly check. If I remarry, will I still receive this check? NN
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2014, 05:20 PM
    No. When you remarry you will revert back to your own SS and if the new husband deceases before you, you will get his.
    Elle16 Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Mar 23, 2014, 06:07 PM
    It depends on your age. This information is copied from the SSA Handbook:
    Your remarriage after age 60 does not prevent you from becoming entitled to benefits on your prior deceased spouse's Social Security earnings record.
    If you are disabled, your remarriage does not prevent you from becoming entitled to benefits on your prior deceased spouse's Social Security earnings records as long as:
    • Your remarriage occurs after you turn 50; and
    • Your remarriage occurs after you become disabled.

NOTE: If you remarry before you turn 50, you will not be entitled to survivor's benefits, unless the marriage ends.
    Entitlement is not affected if you enter into a same-sex marriage or union. The Social Security Administration does not recognize the marriage for benefit purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it illegal for my employer to tell someone that I receive a disability check [ 3 Answers ]

Is it illegal for my employer to disclose to a customer that I receive social security benefits for a disability?

I receive SSDI. Can I still receive my 15 yo daughter's check if I sign over custody? [ 8 Answers ]

I receive SSDI for myself and my 15 YO daughter. I just signed a court agreement to give her father custodial rights. She recently moved in with her father. Can I still receive her payments, or does he have the right to get her checks. What happens if it is not reported?

Will I still receive VA widows pension if I remarry after 60 [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving a widows pension from my husband killed active duty in1970, and am I still eligible to receive it if I remarry after 60?

Do I still receive my annual vacation check if I'm on disability? [ 2 Answers ]

I am with a company that is unionized and have recently been put on disability. All employees receive their vacation pay on their anniversary date. I will be on disability when my anniv. Comes up next week. Will I still get my pay or will my employer hold my check until I return to work?

Settlement and how long will it take to receive check [ 2 Answers ]

My husband goes Jan 26th to settle with the workmans comp board. After reaching an agreement, how long will it take to receive a check, and since we are in Chapter 13 BK, how much can they take or what is the process?

View more questions Search