Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LaborQuestioner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2014, 04:57 AM
    What is the difference between earned vacation time and vacation time on the books?
    I get paid every two weeks. On my last pay stub my vacation hours totaled 39.91 hours. I have worked two additional weeks and have earned more 14 more hours but it will not be reflected on the "books" until the next payroll run. I am scheduled to take a week off next week and am being told that even though I have enough earned vacation time, I cannot take the whole week because my time on the books is not 40 hours. Is this legal in Indiana?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2014, 05:01 AM
    Vacation time on the books is what you get assuming you work the entire year. Earned vacation time is a prorated number based on the time you have worked that year thus far.

For simplicity... lets assume you have 12 days vacation... in the next week it's the end of march. You will have earned 3 days vacation as of the end of march. If you took all 12 days in march... then quit... you would actually owe them the other 9 days paid to you as they were not yet earned for the year.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 21, 2014, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Vacation time on the books is what you get assuming you work the entire year. Earned vacation time is a prorated number based on the time you have worked that year thus far.

For simplicity... lets assume you have 12 days vacation... in the next week it's the end of march. You will have earned 3 days vacation as of the end of march. If you took all 12 days in march... then quit... you would actually owe them the other 9 days paid to you as they were not yet earned for the year.

That is it "In The Nut Shell". Slice it, Dice it, or whatever that is right.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 21, 2014, 07:19 AM
    ... Is this legal in Indiana?
    You do know that normally there are no laws requiring your employer to give you any vacation time? It is purely a matter of contract.

I'm fairly certain that Indiana doesn't have a law prohibiting your employer from doing it this way. So it will depend upon the terms of your employment contract, if you have one. Otherwise, yes it is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

I am working for ten months for a public hospital.do I have to complete a year to take vacation? I have already 78hours on my annual time!

Vacation Time off [ 2 Answers ]

Can my Employer ask me what my time off is for when using Vacation time, or if I have to go to the Doctor, what is the Law regarding time off

Vacation time [ 1 Answers ]

We are going on vacation for almost three weeks. We have a deep well where we live. Do we need someone to flush our toilet or run water maybe every other day to keep the pump active. Also, should hot water be run to keep our water heater in good running conditon. Thank you. Wasn't sure if these...

Vacation time [ 5 Answers ]

I put my notice at my job and I'm going on vacation during that time of notice. Do I get paid for vacation and the remainder of the days that are left?

View more questions Search