Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LITLK Posts: 7, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Needed ira early tax penalty must be paid from ira too
    :( Unfortunately My Retirement Was Placed In An Ira.

Thought I Would Work Longer. Unemployed Only Money Is My Ira I Have Been Using It Now For Three Years To Live On And I'm Currently 58.

Each Year I Owe Taxes On The Previous Year And Penalties, But My Only Money Is The Ira So I Must Take Out Of Ira Once Again To Pay These.

How Do I Stop This Cycle. It Is My Money And Circumstances Of Health And Unemployment Prevent An Income. Do I Take It Out Or Live On The Streets?

Does IRS Give Any Break For Those Unable To Work Prior To 59 1/2 Who's Only Money Is The Ira?

Thank You In Advance For Your Assistance
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
    1. Sorry about your misfortune in life. It is hard to have to draw from your IRA, but you got to do what you got to do. If you are going to draw out of it , why not draw out a big enough chunk at once to last you for awhile instead of drawing out a little at a time? Maybe enough to get you by, say two years. That way you won't have to draw out of it every year and paying the penalties every year. It's kind of like going to an ATM that charges you every time you need to draw out money. Draw out once for a larger amount instead of 2 or 3 times.
    2. Have more federal income tax withheld when you withdraw from your IRA. A good rule of thumb is 20% PLUS 10% to cover the penalty. Depending on the rest of your income for the year, you may even get a refund back. Depends on your tax bracket at the time. Hang in there, you're almost there.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA early partial distribution [ 13 Answers ]

Here is my scenario: I left my previous employer earlier this year and rolled over my 401K and pension into an IRA within the 60 day requirement. I had to take a partial distribution from the IRA for personal reasons. Can I put the money distributed to me back into my IRA within 60 days...

Early withdrawal from IRA for medical expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is an early withdrawal from an IRA to pay uninsured medical expense, subject to the 10% penalty?

10% Penalty on IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

When I left my previous employer I rolled my 401k account into a rollover IRA. I made a withdrawal from the rollover IRA. I am over 55 and receive a retirement income from my previous employer. If this had been from the terminated 401k I would not have to pay the penalty but since it is from a...

IRA Early Withdrawal Timing for Penalty and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I make an early withdrawal from my IRA, I know I will pay a 10% penalty and taxes on the money. WHEN do I pay these? Immediately? Immediately for the penalty and next April 15th for the taxes, or next April 15 for both? Thanks in advance. :confused:

Early retirement from a IRA [ 2 Answers ]

How much taxes do I need to pay on my early retirement plan (IRA) 14,300.00. I live in California.

View more questions Search