Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 19, 2014, 01:20 PM
    I need a Expert on African Weapons
    Some number of years ago I was given this short sward that came from Africa, It's old with a hand tooled ivory handle with 3 gold rings at the base of the hilt. The blade looks to be black iron but in 20 years has shown no rust in the Florida high humidity. I was later told that it wasn't black iron but the metal was melted down from a meteorite which has a lot of nickel in it. It's also mildly magnetic. The covering is made from two seed pods joined together. This just has to be a weapon for some high ranking chief. Does anyone know what this might be? I've looked and wondered for too many years. Thanks for any help. Tom
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 01:38 PM
    What little I know of swordmaking is that the shape of the blade is more indicative of origin than material. Leaf shaped Ida blades from West Africa are very different from the straight bladed kaskara of eastern Sahel or the takouba from Tuareg. Any way to post a pic?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2014, 05:27 PM
    A picture would sure help. If it was made from a meteorite it would be extremely heavy, not something you want in a sword.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 06:47 PM
    Yes, while my expertise is Chinese and Japanese swords, it is possible that some research can be done. Again, can you come back, click answer the question and try to post a photo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 21, 2014, 06:55 AM
    Thanks guys. I'll try to get a picture up this week end. I was told the blade and tang was cast out of a meteorite by a geology major and the reason it doesn't rust is the nickel contract. The blade isn't heavy an d is about a foot long. It's mildly magnetic. The handle is hand tooled elephant tusk and is a work of art. Two large seed pods from a treemake up the scabbard. Photos to follow. TRhanks for your time and interest. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Most powerful nuclear weapons [ 1 Answers ]

Considering the most powerful nuclear weapon tested was in the sixties and was 50 megatons, though capable of double that, what are the most powerful nuclear weapons available today?

Final fantasy 7 weapons [ 1 Answers ]

OK I know there has to be a way to beat the ruby and emerald weapos in final fantasy 7. The bosses would not be there if you could not beat them. My question is, how the heck do I do it. I can beat every other creature in that game with no issue. But those two just seem impossible. The emerald...

Deadly Weapons Dissmisal [ 3 Answers ]

I am running into a problem getting my rights restored in Arizona, due to my charge being "Agg. . w/ Deadly Weapon". Seems that you can not get restoration of rights if charge involved deadly weapon. Does anyone know a way around this one?

Nuclear weapons [ 36 Answers ]

Once we disarm can we force the world to forget how to make them ? Full text of President Obama's speech here : President Obama's Speech In Prague (posted on March 31) - U.S. Embassy in Prague Very convenient for the NORKS to launch in the 24 hr cycle that the President was making an...

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

View more questions Search