Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aiden520 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 10:51 AM
    Why do I feel a need to compete with my friends?
    Hello,

The majority of my friends and I are all in our last semester in college and will be graduating soon. Recently, I constantly feel a need to compete with all of my friends in terms of life after college. For example, who's joining what firm or how much their annual salary is, or even how amazing their spring break was. I honestly just want to live a comfortable life but certain friends of mine like to brag about their recent ventures and amazing experiences and I guess it just brings me down.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2014, 11:51 AM
    Its human nature... you want something better... getting it means competing for it because nobody just hands people the best jobs... or any jobs randomly. THey go to the best qualified people who work the hardest to get them... Like you your friends also live in this reality.

You will be doing this for some years to climb the corporate ladder... unless you are (figuratively speaking) happy working in the mail room your entire life.
    Elle16 Posts: 11, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2014, 02:52 PM
    Competition can drive you to accomplish great things or leave you curled into a ball on the floor. Only you know if this desire to compete is helpful or harmful to you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 19, 2014, 04:15 PM
    You will evolve and no longer pay much attention to what friends compete about, if they continue to do so. At least I stopped, so long ago that I can't remember when. In fact I and my friends have huge arguments about all sorts of differences among us, and it still doesn't destroy our friendships.
    Practice a few stock responses, such as rolling your eyes and saying 'Who CARES' or 'Fine, earn the most, get the best, I'll love you anyway.' A little wry humor goes a long way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many people feel like disassociating themselves from old friends? [ 6 Answers ]

I've been out of High School now for three years. I chose not to continue my education because it just didn't make sense to me to put myself into debt in a failing economy with no clue as to what I wanted to do. Instead I worked for a little while, spent a lot of time with an ex of mine, reflected...

I feel left out by my friends [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, story is, I moved to my friends school in grade five and we are now in grade 8. It used to be the four of us, me, Emma, michaela, and Emily. But me Emma and michaela aren't friends with Emily anymore because of some situation I dot want to get into. Ever since then I have been feeling left...

I feel like were just friends. [ 5 Answers ]

I've been going out with this girl for about a month now and I'm not sure if it's going anywhere. When we talked in person she was lively, funny and I was really in love with her. I've gone out with other girls but I've never had a relationship like this (I'm 19 by the way). About three weeks ago...

Why do I ALWAYS feel the need to be friends with my EX's [ 4 Answers ]

I am new to this forum and would GREATLY appreciate some feedback. I had been with my ex for 2 and a half years and we lived together. He was a great person in the beginning and over the course of our relationship found himself in severe debt that he could not get out of. He became emotionally...

Feel left out by friends [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone has read my previous posts then basically I have been struggling to get over a girl I was seeing. Everyone who has given me advice on this forum has been so helpful and I greatly appreciate all the help aimed at me. Advice which I have been given is to spend as much time with friends...

View more questions Search