Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsiegler1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Name on mortgage but, not on deed what are my legal rights?
    My husband and I divorced in 2004. In the divorce papers it was written that after he paid me, he would keep the property and refinance to remove my name from the mortgage loan. That never happened but, my name was removed from the deed. He is now 3 months behind in the mortgage payments, unemployed and flat broke. My credit score is now feeling the pinch.

Can I retain a realtor to put the property up for sale? What are my legal rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2014, 04:07 PM
    If your name is not on the deed you don't own the property and can't sell it. But if your name was on the deed before the divorce and you didn't sign it over I'm not sure how your name was removed.

You need to check that out!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsiegler1
    my name was removed from the deed
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If your name is not on the deed you don't own the property and can't sell it. But if your name was on the deed before the divorce and you didn't sign it over I'm not sure how your name was removed.

You need to check that out!
    If mrsiegler1 signed a deed quitclaiming her name from the deed, without the deed being a part of a re-finance closing, someone (mrsiegler1 or her attorney) made a very serious mistake, in my opinion.

The problem is that while the divorce decree can order the husband to re-finance, it isn't going to happen unless a bank agrees.
    mrsiegler1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2014, 02:55 PM
    Mortgage vs Deed Matter
    I live in Pennsylvania and have been divorced from my exhusband since 2004 - he kept the property we had owned together and promised to refinance once he was able to become financially stable. In 2007 he took my name off the deed (I didn't see any problem with that since I didn't want to be responsible for taxes). In 2009 he asked if I would consider signing for a lower interest rate with our current mortgage lender and then he would refinance. Well, I did but, he didn't now he is 3 months late on the mortgage and it is damaging my credit. Can I do anything to force him to sell the property before it goes into foreclosure?

Thanks for listening.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsiegler1 View Post
    ... In 2007 he took my name off the deed ...

Can I do anything to force him to sell the property before it goes into foreclosure?
    Perhaps. If you are still on the note but no longer on the title ("deed"), you can be zapped for a deficiency judgment if it does go into foreclosure.

He didn't take your name "off the deed", you apparently signed a deed conveying it to him. That was a very ill-advised move, on your part. An I am confused why he bothered to ask you about in 2009. You would have had no say in the matter; you were no longer on the title.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 03:02 PM
    I see that your two posts have now been merged, I was answering this last question when it was taken down. Consult an attorney in your area but I think you are on the hook for the mortgage as well as getting a bad credit score.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2014, 03:17 PM
    First, please don't start a new thread for the same question. All further follow-up should be posted as a response to this thread.

As AK said, the only way for him to legally "take"your name off the deed was for you to sign a new deed signing the property to him. For you to do this without a refinance of the mortgage was foolish. And, as noted, it made no sense for you to sign a mortgage on a property you no longer had an ownership interest in.

So some of this doesn't make sense. But it could mean that he did some shady stuff and you may be able to sue on those grounds. You need to hire an attorney to go over the paperwork and see if everything was done legally.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 08:26 PM
    If your name is not on the deed but is still on the mortgage note, and if he fails to make the payments then the lender has the right to sue you for any balance that might be due after a foreclosure.

The only legal right you have in this situation is to sue him for any losses you may suffer.

Your best option right now would be to convince him to sell the house immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New wife on ex condo mortgage but not on the deed and he is not paying the mortgage [ 0 Answers ]

My new wife sign a any responsibility on a condo that they both owned. She is on the mortgage but not the deed. He has stopped paying on the condo. What can we do to protect her from bad credit.

Mortgage in my mothers name but we pay the mortgage we want to add ourselves to deed [ 4 Answers ]

We refinanced with my mother we are not on the mortgage but we pay the mortgage she does not live here so we want to add our names to the deed she is very old now and we want to protect our interest!

Is it legal to sell a house contract for deed while owing a mortgage in Illinois? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal in the state of Illinois to sell a house contract for deed while still owing a mortgage?

Legal action to remove name off a deed or mortgage with a party refusing to coperate. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I co-own a property with a very close friend. Both of our names is on deed. Only my name is on the mortgage. He rented out the properties and collect rents. Now for 7 months based on the bank, they have not received payments. There are renters in the properties that he is still collecting rent...

Least complicated but legal way to add someone to my mortgage deed or title [ 3 Answers ]

I find myself in a tight situation with my house payment & household expenses. My friend has decided to come in on the house with me. The house is in Sun City, Arizona, and I have had it for 6 mo. Our plan is to keep my original prime loan. My friend will reinburse me for half my original...

View more questions Search