Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyes2blue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2014, 02:18 AM
    Feel helpless and he wants a divorce.
    I am 55 years old and he wants a divorce. I currently do not have a stable job (I am a substitute teacher and haven't had a call for 3 months), a car or a bank account with any money in it. He basically controls the finances. I agreed to this because I made a mess with the prior bank.
    Now the history hard part... my health has not been great for several years, he says after the 3rd surgery he has had enough. He has no sympathy for me anymore.
    I found out he was using the computer to meet other women. In retaliation, I started gambling, 1) to get some money and 2) to get him where it would hurt the most. Of course, I agree that was stupid and of course, didn't work out to well. That is why I agreed to turn over the finances. Now he is fooling around with a married woman at work.
    I have no where to go and family cannot help me. I feel helpless in this divorce, what am I to do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2014, 02:55 AM
    You really have little choice but to start shopping for a lawyer who will do your divorce and wait for payment. If you had a long marriage and raised children, then you should get a comfortable amount of his assets, at least good for a few years. If it was a recent marriage, and your health is a big factor in your ability to get back to work, then you need to discuss disability SS with your doctor. If neither apply, then I hope you work hard now to find options for shared living, such as other divorced women your age, and some work income.

You don't have to leave your home until the divorce decree declares who gets what. But don't put this off - that's a form of gambling that benefits only him. Tell him that since he's the one who wants the divorce and you have no money, your lawyer will sue him for all legal costs. That's a given. So to save tons of money, agree to legal mediation instead.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2014, 05:28 AM
    Assuming you are a licensed teacher, you get a full time teaching job, if not licensed, you find a job, perhaps in a private school, day care even. You go to work.

You save up some money, and make a plan to get out. If he has already filed for divorce, or what is the status, is he still paying the bills at home.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2014, 06:14 AM
    Get a lawyer. He will need to be paid from shared assets. If your husband won't give you access the lawyer will have to get it for you. Start looking for full time work. Get counseling - you sound depressed and have been irresponsible in some ways, so address those issues. If you qualify, file for disability. Your attorney can petition for spousal support. Sitting around worrying is futile . Hire an attorney and move forward, fixing one problem at a time. I work in family law as a paralegal. We see and straighten out situations like your every day.

Do not hire the cheapest hourly rate lawyer . Pick one who a well rated by peers and former clients . They may charge more per hour but the hours are productive so it is cheaper in the long run. There is a website called AVvo where attorneys are rated independently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I feel helpless and alone what can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've never done this before but I thought id give it a go. Anyway my problem is I've been with my partner for 7years, it can be quite a turbulant relationship with many arguments. I absolutely love him to bits however recently things have become so difficult. I work full time and my partner...

I feel weak to divorce my husband because of my daughter. [ 1 Answers ]

I've been married for past 7 years and have a 5 year old daughter. My daughter loves her Father, she is very clever and knows more than she should for her age. In all of my marriage, I've been supporting my family all this time beside He has been living in my house without paying anything for...

The love of my life tried to killhimself. I feel helpless [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone... This is a very hard thing to talk about. Ive been going out with my baby for almost a year... he has been planning his proposal and we are looking forward to spend the rest of lives together... I love him with all my heart but he a lot of traumas and insecurities. He masks life...

On a break, feel helpless [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my fiancé recently decided to have a break. Things were not the same as they used tobe. Basically I went to france with 3 work colleagues for the day (2 of which were girls) she's never really forgiven me for this. I told her about a week before I was going, and she knew all the people...

He makes me feel guilty when I ask for a divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I have been married for 26 years. I got married when right after turning 18 and got out of high school. He always worked nights and I worked days. We have never went on vacation and he has always went fishing with his fiends every year on our anniversary. I feel I missed out on life and need to...

View more questions Search