Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2014, 04:11 PM
    Job ideas for a physics major
    My son has a degree in physics and is presently a teacher. He is wanting to explore other options. What else can he do with a degree (bachelors) in physics?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
    I'm a bit floored that a parent is asking this for a grown child. I would have thought that all through college, a student of physics talks to professors about such things as careers and specializations. I'm not sure that there are any other jobs besides teaching. Possibly in the fracking industry, even though that's mostly about geology and chemistry? If he's passionate about physics, he should get a PhD.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2014, 05:12 PM
    "I'm not sure that there are any other jobs besides teaching."
    Isn't that kind of like saying you simply don't have an answer?

I would be "a bit floored" if a parent of any child was as disinterested as you seem to think we should be. At any rate, I do thank you for your insight.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 19, 2014, 05:29 PM
    I think it's wonderful that you are interested and supportive. I think it's potentially harmful for a parent to be doing the work for a grown child. I think your leap to the conclusion that I would let him do his own research means you are 'disinterested.'

I think a physicist needs a PhD, period. But I think that's a decision that should come totally from within him.

Re careers: to be blunt, I've known PhD theoretical physicists from MIT who said that without a concentration in a few fields, they couldn't get jobs except in teaching. One in a thousand get to work at CERN or such places.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 19, 2014, 06:13 PM
    Does he want to get away from physics entirely, or add to that with another degree or training in something? If it's the latter, he might want to find out about certifications and further education available from the local community college or area schools. Physical therapy involves physics, for instance, but for that and for most other jobs, he will need another degree or specific training. A bachelor's just doesn't take someone too far nowadays -- depending on where he wants to go. He really needs to talk with a career counselor/coach to find out options and if he needs more schooling.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
    Joy, he is searching. I'm just trying to add my two cents worth. I do understand your point of view.

He realizes he is probably looking at going back to school. The question is this: Should he continue to pursue physics, or work towards something else such as engineering?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 06:20 PM
    Where is his heart's desire?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 06:44 PM
    He can go into sells, or some management.. The question really is, what does he like, what does he want to do. If his passion is music, or outdoors. Or is he willing to do perhaps onlline or part time work going back to University for a masters or for a 2nd degree.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 07:02 PM
    What Jobs Can I Get with a Physics Major? | eHow

10 Jobs Involving Physics | eHow
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2014, 08:20 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll pass the info along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between job analysis, job description and job specification? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between job description, job analysis and job specification?

Bsc mathematics and physics job opportunity [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a Bsc mathemathics and physics and I want to know exactly which doors will be opnened for me when I've finish my degree who will hire me

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation [ 1 Answers ]

Distinguish between job description,job specification and job rotation

Need ideas for a comic strip regarding special relativity concepts (Physics 11) [ 0 Answers ]

So my summer school (Physics 11) teacher wants us to choose 3 special relativity concepts and draw 3 sperate comic strips on them. So far I've only chosen time dilation and I basically finished that because that wasn't hard, but now I have to choose 2 more concepts and draw comic strips for...

View more questions Search