Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidwr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2014, 02:02 PM
    Diversity Visa — high school education
    After I finish high school, I plan to continue my studies in the United States on an F1 visa. My parents do have the sufficient funds to support me, but I would much rather prefer to work part time (and have the choice to work off-campus) — as well have some more liberty with vocational training and the sorts.

I was considering applying for the green card through the DV lottery. I know that the chances of winning are more than ridiculously low, but I had to ask anyway.

I know that a high school diploma is a prerequisite for applying for the lottery. I am in high school right now and I am due to graduate in May 2015, the same month that the lottery will be drawn — therefore, I would already have my diploma by the time I went for my interview.

Do you already have to have the high school diploma at time of applying for the lottery, or is it enough to have it when you go for your interview? Because technically, it shouldn't make a difference... and I would just like to give it a go.

Also, would it be difficult for me to prove non-immigrant intent when applying for an F1 after signing up for the Green Card Lottery? I know my status as F1 would be non-immigrant and I know what I'm allowed and not allowed to do under this visa.

Side question: is it okay to apply for DV visa while actually on F1?

Many thanks for all your answers!
    David

(I'm currently 18 years of age, in my country, we take 13 years before we finish with school)
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Mar 20, 2014, 11:53 AM
    You can apply for DV while maintain F-1 status, but to apply for DV before applying for F-1 may jeopardize the chance to get F-1 visa.

You must be 18 years of age and finished high school by the time you go for interview. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need copy of high school diploma asp? I graduated 1968 Downey High School, L.A. CA [ 1 Answers ]

I need a copy of my High School Diploma from Downey High School, graduated in 1968. Where would I be able to obtain a copy?

If my child is done with high school and does not want any further education do I [ 3 Answers ]

Still have to pay support until they are 21?

Diversity Visa (DV-2012) High School Education Requirement [ 1 Answers ]

The Diversity Visa program requires high school level of education, as shown below. "A “high school education or equivalent” is defined as successful completion of a twelve-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States or successful completion in another country of a...

Diversity Visa [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently in nonimmigrant visa ,I am a Diversity loto winner for the FY October 2007 to September 2008. According to the Visa bulletin posted on may 2008 my visa number is current in July 2008. Can anybody tell me if I can apply for Adjustment of status in this June 2008 or I will have...

View more questions Search