Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    question69 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Non verbal child
    My 5 yr. old son was diagnosed w/ ASD last 2005, he's still non verbal, is it true that ASD kids most likely could talk before they turn 10 yrs. Old? Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 07:11 AM
    While we have many good professional people here with good medical understanding, please speak to your personal doctor on this, The people who work with the child, evaluate him, and have tested him will know better than anyone what to expect with your child. No two cases of anything is exactly alike, and no to people ( children) are the same either.

And remember that faith also goes along way in helping everyone in the family deal with the hardships.
    question69 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. My son is getting some health professional help, its just taking him that long to really speak. I know it's a slow process; I'm just curious about other kid's experiences. Thanks for your time.
    MalaikaG1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by question69
    my 5 yr. old son was diagnosed w/ ASD last 2005, he's still non verbal, is it true that ASD kids most likely could talk before they turn 10 yrs. old? thanks.
    My daughter has autism and she was non verbal for the first 3 years of her life. She is now 16 she speaks well enough to get her point across very well. I'm so proud of her. Does your son get speech therapy, it really really helps.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
    My child has speech problems,and has been tested for autism.He is 3 years old, and has been accepted into the exceptional student program.This program allows children with disabilities to start school at age 3,and have a head start on working out some problems.I already see much improvement within the last 6 months.He does not have autism,but has shown frustration about not being able to communicate like most chidren.He has a short temper,and many times I feel at a loss of how to keep him from throwing tantrums.His main problem is transition from one place to another if he does not want to leave.(Mostly playgrounds,and things he enjoys doing.)He has a cyst in his brain,and sometimes I wonder what kind of role this may play with his speech development.
    shoe Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by question69
    my 5 yr. old son was diagnosed w/ ASD last 2005, he's still non verbal, is it true that ASD kids most likely could talk before they turn 10 yrs. old? thanks.
    Please go to Autism Mercury

I am the father of a recovered autistic child who has never had so much as one hour of behavioral therapies (the hospital told me he would need 35-40 hrs a week). We treated him for metal poisoning and within 4 months, he went from non verbal to speaking in complete sentences, and I documented it all on video.

For more about me and my son, go here.

Pat Sullivan Blog: Scott Shoemaker and his son are in the news again

Good luck to you, and God bless you and your family. I know first hand what you are going through.

Shoe
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 06:40 PM
    My older son has hyperlexia, a form of autism. I solved the non-verbal problem by having him write to me, with me, for me. He became a master of grocery lists and thank-you notes. He's 36 now, has no problem speaking (that had ended long before age 10), and does best remembering or performing when something is printed rather than said. He writes stories and poems, and remembers everything he reads--is great to have nearby when I do crosswords or watch "Millionaire" or "Jeopardy".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Abuse [ 2 Answers ]

What signs show verbal abuse?

Verbal Contract [ 1 Answers ]

North Carolina My husband and Myself tried to help his daughter out by buying her house with the loan balance of $100,000. She could not make the payments as he and her husband were separated with no chance of going back together. She in return could move to my house which was paid for with her...

Verbal abuse? [ 4 Answers ]

My neighbor is married to a listed sexual predator. His picture is on the internet for our state as a sexual predator. I worked with this man for 5 years. It was very difficult, because he is such a horrible guy. He finally was fired. He has a anti-social personality. His wife is totally...

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

4 years ago, my mother persuaded my sick disabled sister to move in with her, so that they could help take care of each other. My mother has now relocated to another state and is trying to evict my sister from the home in order to sell it. My sister never paid rent to my mom ( home is paid for),...

View more questions Search