Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clinicadmin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2014, 09:24 PM
    HIPAA Violation?
    If one person asks if another person is in our clinic and being treated, is it a HIPAA violation for a clinic nurse to acknowledge that the person is in fact there and being treated? The person asking was a co-worker of the person being treated but did not come in with the patient, nor did they say they were a co-worker, this is just known information by the nurse (we live in a very small town). And then the nurse offered to take the co-worker back to see the patient. Before entering the room, the nurse did knock and ask the patient if it was OK for the co-worker to come in but were the patient's rights violated by even admitting they were there and being treated?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 16, 2014, 10:01 PM
    This comes under the tiniest parts of HIPAA, which is mostly about transmission of data between medical facilities. Of course the nurse should have said 'Have a seat and I will see what I am at liberty to find out,' and talked to the patient before bringing the co-worker to the back. Presuming that the nurse suspected that the situation wasn't the sort of one that a patient would want to keep secret, and that this entailed suddenly leaving work and concerned people, and that the patient did indeed allow the co-worker in, I think it's a simple matter of making sure that there is policy in place for the future.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2014, 04:53 AM
    Yes it would be considered a violation. If reported, the nurse's supervisor should reprimand her at the least. If the patient complained, it could cause problems for the facility.

Basically, if you are a caregiver and someone asks you about a patient, you should not give ANY information without checking to make sure they are authorized to receive info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation? [ 8 Answers ]

I recently injured my back at work and was seen in the emergency dept. I was referred to "Job Care" and saw a provider 3 days later. No drug testing was done. I do have a medical marijuana card and did not realize at the time the jacket I was wearing had an odor of the substance. I Found out that...

Hipaa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am curious whether it is a hipaa violation if a doctor uses information about a patient given to him by the patients spouse. For example, a patient is receiving anti anxiety and pain meds and has been for years. The doctors office always felt it was possible this patient could be over using the...

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am active duty military and we are always told that we are protected by HIPAA. The other day I found out my medical provider told a joke about me to other medical staff regarding one of my diagnosed medical conditions. Is this considered a HIPAA violation?

Hipaa violation [ 4 Answers ]

I had a medical provider that I saw as a result of a car accident. Initially, I had given her permission to speak with the car insurance company. But, later, in wiriting, I advised her to only deal with me directly. She has continued to speak with the insurance company, though only to check the...

View more questions Search