Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmy1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2014, 01:23 PM
    Multiple breakers can turn off power on same line
    I just found out that more than 1 circuit breaker can control same line. If you turn off the breaker connected to wire and power goes off, on the same time if you turn off another breaker which is not connected to previos line, power goes off again. If you change wire to another breaker, none of the light and/ or outlets works but the wire is carring power from breaker. It is an old circuit breaker box and old wiring.
    Can anyone help please?

Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2014, 03:05 PM
    It's hard to believe that it hasn't back powered and tripped the breaker. Are you sure you don't have a 240 VAC line or a split receptacle? You can't have that configuration on a 120 VAC line unless it is a split receptacle or a kitchen circuit with a shared neutral.
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2014, 07:13 AM
    Could be an old split bus panel, where one breaker is feeding the lower section of the panel, another breaker is for the individual circuit. You'd probably notice more than just that circuit going out if you turned off the upper breaker though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple AFCI breakers trip at once [ 1 Answers ]

I am in a new housing development. A number of neighbors on my street are reporting the same behavior I am about to describe, and it happens to all of us at the same time. Multiple AFCI breakers (usually between 2 and 8, and they will be different combo every time) in our homes will trip at the...

AC turns off-partial power loss in house- turn ac on-power is restored [ 4 Answers ]

I have a dual zone ad system in my house. It never had problems in the past, however today we switched it from heat to air. Everything worked fine until the thermostat was changed from cool to off When this happened various rooms in the house lost power. Thinking it was a tripped fuse I...

Electrical breakers good. No power? [ 8 Answers ]

Watching TV in the family room downstairs. All of a sudden, power out. Upon further investigation, about 1/3 of the house was out. All circuit breakers were checked and flipped, but still no power. Checked all the GFIs and they were good. Can't figure out why there isn't power.

Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler is not receiving elec power , but main line has power up [ 0 Answers ]

Burnham Series 2 Gas Boiler is not receiving elec power , but main line has power up to the unit

No power at breakers box [ 2 Answers ]

I have power coming in to my box I checked power at main and it is good until I turn any of the breakers on then I loose power at main then when I turn breaker back off the power at the main come back up

View more questions Search